what supps help with weaning off zoloft? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am trying to get off my zoloft before I enter my third trimester with this pregnancy.

I totally trust that I am ready to get off, however, I wouldn't mind if I had some help. I have heard good things about Sam-e and weaning.

Also fish oils and B vitamins. Is there anything else that could help??

#2 of 7 Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 PM

My sister had a time weaning off of Zoloft. 

Have you been tested for the MTHFR gene mutation? A large percentage of the population has it and those people should not take SAM-E. 

I'm a breastfeeding mom and take Methyl B12, TMG, and Folate. I've also been on several different antidepressents in my life ( including Zoloft) and have found this to be the most effective thing, BY FAR. 

#3 of 7 Old 04-18-2012, 04:06 PM

Definitely take a good quality fish oil supplement, twice a day.  I know this helped me wean off of Effexor.  Mine had 660mg of EPA and 330mg of DHA.

#4 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 AM

A quick caution.  When I've gone off Zoloft in the past, it really messed with my equilibrium/balance.  I would turn my head and for a split second, it felt like I was spinning.  I never went off it with a dr.'s help or the "right" way, by decreasing the amount over time, which was not smart.  If you have time, go off of it slowly by cutting dosage gradually.

I also am prone to PPD and wish I'd hooked up with LLL prior to having the baby.  Social support can go a long way towards warding off PPD.  You may want to see if there's a chapter near you and you think you could use some support and community around you.  Also, I would advise you to check into mom's groups and that kind of thing, or find a walking buddy if you live in an area that is conducive to walking.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!  Good luck with the third trimester!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 AM

I'm echoing what everyone else said here. I am currently weaning off of Cymbalta (an SNRI, so a little different) and I'm going to be 32 weeks tomorrow. I went from 60 mg, to 30 mg, and then down to 20 mg. I am holding here until next weekend (DH has a 3 day weekend), then I'll be totally off of it, hopefully! Probably similarly to you, I'm trying to avoid withdrawal symptoms in my baby boy, so getting off of it by early 3rd trimester is ideal.

I did have withdrawal symptoms going from 60 to 30 mg. They were flu-like symptoms, and I also felt "dizzy" like McGucks said, but I described it as being stuck in a stop-motion camera. It was like my brain couldn't keep up or something, it was weird. I would try to spend the first few days of each "weaning" period at home, so maybe go down on doses over the weekend or something. I went from 60 to 30 over spring break (DH works for a school district) so that worked well for me.

I do take a DHA supplement every day for my baby, so I'm sure that helped. What helped the most, though, was SLEEP. Make sure you make getting enough of it a priority. Pay attention to your nutrition as well, though I think that is kind of second nature for us pregnant ladies. Exercise is also said to really help with anxiety/depression due to the good hormones released, so I might try that as well if I were you. Be gentle with yourself and make sure your DH and others you might be close to know what is going on so they can cut you some slack if you are extra cranky for a few days as you are weaning off.

Please go slowly! You don't know how you will react to weaning off of meds. I have done WAY better weaning off than I ever hoped or expected, but I know someone else who weaned off the same drug as me who almost went through a divorce, his withdrawal symptoms got so bad.

Praying for you!

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#6 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 AM

I am currently working on weaning off Zoloft. Last time I weaned off it was because I found out I was pregnant and just wasn't comfortable being on it. I literally quit the day I got the pregnancy test. And then I attributed all the symptoms I now know are "withdrawal" symptoms to being pregnant (I honestly thought that's what it was!)...nausea, dizzyness, the works.

This time, I am not nursing or pregnant and went from 100 to 50 for about a week and then off completely. I had to stay home for a few days and couldn't go running because I was too dizzy. And then I figured out if I took the fish oil and did the running, my symptoms were actually MUCH less. Whether it's endorphins or adrenaline kicking in, I have no idea. But the exercise is making a HUGE difference for me this time.

For the fish oil, I'm using Nordic Naturals it is really working for me. Anyone have a brand suggestion for the other supplements?

I just love that we can chat about this here. It's a hard topic to bring up to friends who haven't been thru it and might judge or offer advice that really doesn't help.

#7 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM

I need to go very slowly weaning off my SSRI.

So, right now, I'm weaning off Paxil. I went down from 40 mg to 35  for a week, then down to 30. I've been on 30 for 2-3 weeks, and I'll go down next week to 25 and then 20. I can't mess with my SSRIs in the week before my period begins. So, I've got about 2 weeks to get doses down, then I'm stable for a couple weeks, then I go down a bit more. I use a pill splitter.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page