Anyone currently dealing with adrenal fatigue? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There is a lot of great information and discussions when I do a search, but nothing being discussed recently. Just wondering if there are others that are currently dealing with this?

#2 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 PM

I have some adrenal issues but I also just realized I have some yeast overgrowth so now I am not sure what is what. 

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#3 of 13 Old 03-30-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi CoBabyMaker. Thanks for your reply! How did you know that you have candida issues and do you think that this is contributing to the function of your adrenals? What are you doing to support your body?

#4 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM

When I got a full physical at a doc office that does functional medicine, the nurse practitioner told me she thought I had adrenal fatigue. There were several factors. My blood test showed I was high in potassium and my sodium is low. This is one big indicator of adrenals not functioning 100%. My cholesterol was also on the low side which I thought was interesting, but cholesterol plays a big part in your hormonal balance. 

She recommended a book to me called Adrenal Fatigue. She also wanted me to get a saliva test which test your adrenal hormones and all  your other hormones too. Insurance does not cover this test however, and while saving up for the test I got pregnant. Now she says the test won't even be helpful since I'm pregnant. There is a questionnaire in the book Adrenal Fatigue that I took and my score placed me as "moderately severe" adrenal fatigue. So I am trying to follow the suggestions in the book, which are mainly to eat low carb, stay away from any foods you are sensitive to (for me it is grains especially gluten grains, and dairy mainly), going to bed before 10pm, extra vitamin C to support your adrenals. Those are the things I remember off the top of my head. Its a good book, very informative. I do have candida issues too but they also improve with low carb for me. 

#5 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Worldshakerz- I was dignosed through a saliva test through a naturapath, then went through an herbalist that they consulted with. Vitamin B was emphasized as important, but not Vitamin C ( which I really think I could use because my gums and teeth health have declined in the past two years). I have also been taking a magnesium supplement which helps a lot and have read that it is connected to adrenal health. I in the past was not into vitamin supplements at all, but feel they are useful to me at this time. How is being pregnant with adrenal issues going?

#6 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Autumnnvt - that's right I think the book I read also recommends B vitamins and I really need to remember to take them! They really do help with energy.I also take magnesium, that is something I figured out a while back..that I need lots of it, I take Natural Calm. As far as dealing with this while pregnant, some days it can be quite overwhelming. The kind of physical pain I get is just an all over burning muscle pain and on bad days I just feel awful. Advil always took the edge of the pain fairly well....only being able to take Tylenol is hard. I don't know if the fatigue is that much worse, but its not better lol. Not just physically, but mentally and emotionally too. I am trying to really kick some bad eating habits I've gotten into. I had morning sickness/food aversions for several weeks in the beginning and once it went away I started eating foods that make my symptoms worse. I've cut down on them but have slipped a few times. Wheat and dairy really do me in, even just one mess up gives me worse symptoms for a few days! I was taking two college classes but the semester just ended and I feel like I can settle myself into a good routine of getting enough rest and eating very healthfully again. My kids have 6 weeks left of school so that is 6 weeks I have to myself for a good 7 hours per day, so I'm going to take advantage of it completely and take really good care of myself! I don't know if its from the adrenal fatigue, but I got sick with bronchitis/ear infection/sinus infection about 6 weeks ago and even though the severe symptoms went away, I've still had wheezing/congestion and some pressure in my ears. What about you, were you able to heal your adrenals?

#7 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

oops

#8 of 13 Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I really hope that you are able to get the rest you need in the next couple of weeks Worldshakerz... That seems to be key in addressing adrenal issues. My introduction into adrenal health began toward the end of my second pregnancy. I began to feel anxious a lot and extra tired. Despite an easy pregnancy and delivery, I continued to feel very tired. I remember thinking to myself that if this feeling didn't subside after my daughter was 2 that I should go to the doctor to see what was going on. It was hard to tell if it was normal mom of two young children stuff or something else.

Then, I began noticing that I was getting sick a bit more that usual and my recovery time was taking longer. Then, I had reoccurring plugged ducts and got mastitis when my daughter was one. Strange time to get it I thought.... I began seeing a network chiropractor for my health. THEN I had (what I didn't know at the time) an anxiety attack. Started seeing an herbalist. Things started feeling like I was moving in the right direction, then four months later, I had another anxiety attack. After these "attacks" I couldn't function for several days and my husband had to stay home from work until I would begin to slowly feel better. (And I'm usually pretty tough when it comes to not feeling well). THEN I went fifteen months of feeling better, started seeing a naturapath and received some vitamin B! shots which helped my energy levels ALOT! (In retrospect) towards the end of the summer I began feeling a lot of anxiety again, then had another anxiety attack. Only this time we finally identified what they were and the next day I was able to see the naturapath and the chiro and get some homeopaths to take. I felt better after one day which seemed like I was making progress. Here was where I think that I made the mistake. I felt like if it was ONLY anxiety attacks that I was having, that I cjould work through it, so I pushed myself and a week and a half later had another one, but didn't rest and kept pushing myself until three days into it, my cortisol was stuck on and for two days and nights, it wouldn't stop. I finally had some cranio work and it stopped and I crashed. I spent the next week unab;e to do anything but lay around then the next several months I could barely maintain getting my oldest to school and picking him up. My younger child watched a lot of TV during this time.

That all happened on October 31 of last year. Since then it has been a slow ride uphill. The most important things to my recovery have been sleep and network chiro. Two months ago I also started taking a more specific adrenal supplement. I am feeling better, but know I have a bit of a road ahead of me. I gave up gluten five months ago and although I believe that it has helped some, it hasn't been the magic answer. I think I may also have to give up the dairy, but am feeling very hesitant about it! I have also found acupressure to be quite helpful and am using that regularly, especially when I have days where I feel especially weak or fatigued.

We pulled our school aged child out of school on February, so having both kids at home has been a lot. But, he had been asking to come home a lot earlier and I finally felt well enough to deal, so we will see how that plays out. Sometimes I dream of having both my kids in school and no other commitments. But that is so unlike my personality in general. (The nothing else going on part). I am hoping that I am over the hump and will continue to improve!

#9 of 13 Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Autumnvt, before I realized it was adrenal fatigue, I just knew I had felt "burnt out" for a long time. I actually only put my two kids in public school last fall and it was so difficult for me because I really do want to homeschool them. But I think its been good for me to have that time and even though I'd like to homeschool them again by fall, I may have them in public school one more year. My 9 yr old son is asking to homeschool again already - my 6 yr old daughter might be upset though because she loves her teacher and classmates so much lol. We shall see...I need to see how I feel and they may stay one more year (at least its a charter school). I think you're right, I think rest is sooo important! Thanks for sharing your story; it seems like it can be a lengthy process to heal the adrenals but its well worth it.

#10 of 13 Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 AM

Yes, unfortunately.  I am currently in the midst of an Epstein Barr reactivation and other factors diagnosed with a combo of blood/stool/saliva workup point to adrenal burnout.   I am exhausted.  I have no opportunity for rest which really is the only thing that will help at this point.  I am watching my diet (clean eating, no gluten, no dairy) and taking supplements out the wa-zoo.  Supplements include vitamin c, niacin and other high dose b vitamins, allo immune, core level adrenal something or other, thymex, multi, large amounts of probiotics, and the piece de resistance - raw liver smoothies.   There is more but I also have supplement burnout and honestly am not feeling any better. 

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#11 of 13 Old 05-06-2012, 06:43 AM

Hi, jumping in here to ask if besides the vitamins and minerals, you have added herbs/botanicals that are good for AF? This article -- http://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/adrenalfatigueandstress/commonadrenalfatiguesymptoms.aspx -- mentions several and from I've read, they can make a huge difference, especially astragalus and cordyceps.

#12 of 13 Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry to hear that rest is hard for you to obtain Ethelpea! I feel like I have nights in a row where I sleep well, get to bed early, etc.... then I have a run of poor sleep nights whether it is the kids, or something else. I wish that I could have several months of consistent rest! And several months of no or low stress would be helpful as well!

subtlycrunchy- I originally only treated with herbs and Vit B supplement. I took a blend of Reishi, Dong Quoi, White Peony, Ashwaganda, Rehmannia, and Cinnamon blended into a tincture. I did that for two years and have recently switched to a capsule targeted specifically for adrenals (the other addressed adrenals but also other things) called adrenal response by INNATE with the main herb being ashwaganda. I also take a tincture to calm my nervous system, and a tea to support my nervous system AND a flower essence as needed... I hear you Elthepea about supplement burnout!

Does anyone know what dairy sensitivity has to do with adrenals?

#13 of 13 Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 PM

I don't believe dairy is specifically bad for the adrenals, from what I understand the adrenals respond to allergens with cortisol, so if you are eating something you are allergic to -  - whether dairy or something else - it's constant work for the adrenals. I found this great article that explains it, the website looks interesting. http://www.adrenalfatiguerecovery.com/delayed-food-allergies.html

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page