Off-the-charts small children (for SDmummy) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-20-2002, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to share our experience with being off-the-charts small...

My ds2 weighed 6lb 10oz when he was born, compared to ds1 weighing 6lb 6oz.

At 1 year, ds2 weighed 17 lb, compared to ds1 weighing just over 20 lb. At least ds1 was on the charts, at about 25% I think. But ds2 was out of range, as you must well know!

So I worried some, mostly because ds2 had always been a "puker", spitting up if I nursed him more than about 5 min at a sitting. Even when he started solids, if he ate anything too quickly it would come right back up. I got to where I could tell from the expression on his face when it was about to happen so I could move his bowl out of the way!!

Anyway, as it turns out I was just about exactly the same size as ds2 (tiny!) when I was that age. He is now 4.5 and weighs around 30 lb. But he is sooo healthy, smart and strong. He is just small. This is what is normal for him.

My advice to you would be to keep track to make sure he is still gaining steadily (even if slowly) and is healthy. Also find out what you or his father weighed at that age. Maybe it's just normal for him!

I can't imagine formula would do anything better for him than your milk does. Even if he's not eating a lot of solids at a year, that's not a huge deal. I've known children who, at a year, wouldn't let anything in their mouths except for their mother's "nursies" and they were all healthy!

Good luck to you. I know it's scary to go against the doctor's advice, but you know best...
#2 of 4 Old 05-20-2002, 10:53 PM

lavender and sdmummy,

You described my dd2. She is also 4.5 and weighs around 30 lbs. At 1.5 yrs she weighed 19 lbs and was actually losing a little bit of weight. She wasn't so healthy then, sick a lot, though I don't know why. She wasn't interested in solids and didn't start them until 22 months. But by the time she turned 2 she was healthy, strong and still is, just a wee bit small.

Luckily, my doc is pro-pro-pro breastfeeding because even when she was losing weight, her recommendation was to just keep on nursing and don't worry about the solids. I think I was more concerned than the doc. But, I did know that I had LOTS of milk for her.

So, I think if the milk supply is allright and the only thing the doc recommends is formula, I wouldn't do it. SHe will thrive on your breastmilk, she doesn't need the formula unless there is some reason to believe that your supply is too low. Try not to worry, but pay attention to how she seems. Small doesn't necessarily mean anything, except small.

Alison
#3 of 4 Old 05-21-2002, 03:20 AM

Thank you both. The reason the doctor is pushing formula is because he says it is impossible to check my milk supply to check if Gabe is getting enough. He does eat quickly- he feeds every 2 hours on one side only for 5 mins max. It has always been this way though.

Also Lavender, I spoke to my mother in law, and apparently my husband was a tiny baby as well. I was also on the small side, so I am convinced it is hereditary. My doctor unfortunately is not pro-BF, though of course he would never admit that. He has tried to push formula on me in the past. I have always refused as Gabe was growing fine, but it is just now that I am worrying so much that I am considering it. I cannot risk his health for the sake of my principles.. that sounds kooky I know. I suppose I am just confused. I will contact that lady in Encinitas, and I plan to contact a lactaction nurse as well to see if that will help.

Thank you both again- it comforts me to know that there are other "small" but perfectly healthy andhappy babies out there. My Gabriel is the biggest sociable, lovable flirt there is.. he certianly never acts like he is hungry or malnourished!

Lucy
#4 of 4 Old 05-21-2002, 05:32 AM

SDmummy,

One more thought after reading your reply... If Gabe nurses such a short time and on one side only, it would SEEM that he is getting plenty of milk. If he was hungry it would seem likely that he would nurse and nurse trying to fill up and be fussy if he wasn't full. From your description, he seems happy and content. I would REALLY question whether supplenting is necessary, but of course you know your babe best and need to do what you are comfortabe with. Just don't let your doc bully you into it. I'm glad you are getting some second opinions.

Alison

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page