Help! Has anyone had burst drum/ear gunk from an untreated ear infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We don't use meds for ear infections and usually they clear up just fine.  But my youngest has an ear that is leaking quite a lot of fluid (yellow/white) and it's been going on for days (Sunday - Thursday).  Has anyone had this happen before?!  I'm wondering how long I can expect it t0 last?  He doesn't seem bothered by it so I'm inclined to think he's OK but it is a little freaky... just wondering if anyone has seen this before.  

Thanks!  :)

#2 of 3 Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It could be ruptured, there isn't always blood present when it happens.  However... he could lose hearing in his ear if it's not treated properly.

could also be glue ear... again hearing loss.  This is one of those things I get treated.  My kids have never had any medication before and we don't normally go to the doctor since they never get sick.  But my youngest had some ear issues and I took her in right away, she wasn't tugging on her ear or crying over it at all but there was lots of fluid in her ear and I was not equiped to care for it on my own.  However, It was one day not a few and her hearing is fine.  Not something I'm messing with though, it's not my ear.   I would take him in.  Do him a favor.

#3 of 3 Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes my son had the same kind of thing with his ear and it was a burst eardrum. He never cried and when I told the dr that, he looked at me like I was nuts.
He ended up having it happen several times, it kind of never went away, I don't know why, his ears were more susceptible to infection and build up of fluid, I guess, because none of our other kids had ear infections
He did have hearing loss and we never realized it until the ENT tested his hearing.
He got tubes in his ears at almost 2 years old and when we brought him home he cried at every noise, he wasn't used to things being so loud! He also corrected some of the words that he said the wrong way. We thought he was just his cute baby way of saying things but it turned out that he couldn't hear properly.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page