#122 of 167 Old 11-24-2013, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#123 of 167 Old 11-24-2013, 03:18 PM

I removed mine today, well my Husband did. Took about 2 minutes and it came right out I have it since 3 years and i just can not take it anymore. When i got it i was 160lbs , i am 220lbs. I am a mom of 4 my oldest being 17 and my youngest is 7. NEVER have i weight this much not even 9 months pregnant. I thought it was a good Idea when i got it and it seemed ok, loved not to have a Period but over the past 3 years my "normal" weight keeps increasing by about 20 lbs a year so that by now i am 220. I tried to lose weight it wont work, no matter what i do i can not shake it and i am not a eat a lot person at all. Now 1 hour later I started spotting and have some cramping which is not to bad but i expected that. I read on another page that some dropped 10lbs in just 2 weeks after removing it, i hope my weight falls right back off now too. We dont want anymore Kids tho lol i am way over that, but i rather use something else as to ever have the Mirena again. 

#124 of 167 Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 PM

I have had my mirena in 1 year longer than it should have been. Loved it when I had it but was having alot of financial issues and was unable to afford a doctor visit. Tonight after reading these post I removed it my self, it was so easy!! I was so nervous. I realized in the shower the strings were down more than usual, maybe because it was that time of the month (I believe that made it easier). After I got out of the shower, sat on toilet, found strings, and pulled slowly. I feel great now, I already had some craming due to it being that normal time for me , I dont feel any diffrent, just relieved of how easy it actually was. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.
#125 of 167 Old 11-26-2013, 05:17 PM

I also have a tilted cervix and when they put it in they had issues so I was concerned I would have some taking it out... but no issues smile.gif
#126 of 167 Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 PM

HI everyone!! I'm writing from snowy austria to say - THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR BRAVERY and for telling your experience! I had an IUD in my 30s (now 41, still single and dating , eh bien) and I did put on weight steadily through those years, and could never seem to lose it. Didn't connect the dots! It was a copper IUD too, not mirena with hormones. About a month ago I had a condom break , and went to the gyno asking for a new IUD as emergency contraception, as it was a week out , too late for the morning after pill- I had the WORST experience..it was a German doctor, who a lot of my friends in munich use, he has quite an ego and is MUCH less gentle than my docs back in the states were, anyway- he jammed the forceps in me, cold, oversized as usual, and then started just ramming the thing into my cervix to install the IUD. I started screaming because the pain was unbearable, he has his assistant HOLD ME DOWN !!! so I won't kick him, all the while I am begging him, "please, please stop, give me a minute, anything" I have never been raped , but this felt as close to that experience as I have ever had. WHen I had my last IUD put in and taken out , only a year before, no problems. The doctor defended himself by saying I was old , so I have a "tough cervix" …???a year later after removal suddenly I have a decrepit cervix?? Anyway..she held me down as I said, quite forcibly, I screamed the entire way, and finally he installed the thing. I felt violated, but left at least relieved, no unwanted pregnancy ..and then for the last month, again, I noticed I was putting on weight!! and I did not, finally connect the dots till I read all of your posts!! also I just felt awful- and I had weird bloody and sorry to TMI, but murky bloody cheese like discharge every day it seemed. I read everything you all said tonight and squat down , found the string and pulled till that little bastard came out. I have a white floor and I dropped it right down and it looked like something out of Alien!! bloody, yes, and I am bleeding a bit still, but also I was shocked because it had serrated looking arms on the upper T part? my last IUD just had a flat stick on top? But I felt like Sigourney Weaver after she gets the alien out of her..if that actually happened in the movie I can't remember, it just seems fitting in the moment :) ..but now- I feel so relieved!!! thank you all so much! I hope my post , colorful as it is, helps some other girl who wants to try this..(disclaimer- not medical advice, I am not a doctor!!!) but I feel right now so much better and brighter !! like I took a major polluter out of my body!! thanks guys!!!xx

#127 of 167 Old 12-05-2013, 02:59 PM

HI everyone!! I'm writing from snowy austria to say - THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR BRAVERY and for telling your experience! I had an IUD in my 30s (now 41, still single and dating , eh bien) and I did put on weight steadily through those years, and could never seem to lose it. Didn't connect the dots! It was a copper IUD too, not mirena with hormones. About a month ago I had a condom break , and went to the gyno asking for a new IUD as emergency contraception, as it was a week out , too late for the morning after pill- I had the WORST experience..it was a German doctor, who a lot of my friends in munich use, he has quite an ego and is MUCH less gentle than my docs back in the states were, anyway- he jammed the forceps in me, cold, oversized as usual, and then started just ramming the thing into my cervix to install the IUD. I started screaming because the pain was unbearable, he has his assistant HOLD ME DOWN !!! so I won't kick him, all the while I am begging him, "please, please stop, give me a minute, anything" I have never been raped , but this felt as close to that experience as I have ever had. WHen I had my last IUD put in and taken out , only a year before, no problems. The doctor defended himself by saying I was old , so I have a "tough cervix" …???a year later after removal suddenly I have a decrepit cervix?? Anyway..she held me down as I said, quite forcibly, I screamed the entire way, and finally he installed the thing. I felt violated, but left at least relieved, no unwanted pregnancy ..and then for the last month, again, I noticed I was putting on weight!! and I did not, finally connect the dots till I read all of your posts!! also I just felt awful- and I had weird bloody and sorry to TMI, but murky bloody cheese like discharge every day it seemed. I read everything you all said tonight and squat down , found the string and pulled till that little bastard came out. I have a white floor and I dropped it right down and it looked like something out of Alien!! bloody, yes, and I am bleeding a bit still, but also I was shocked because it had serrated looking arms on the upper T part? my last IUD just had a flat stick on top? But I felt like Sigourney Weaver after she gets the alien out of her..if that actually happened in the movie I can't remember, it just seems fitting in the moment :) ..but now- I feel so relieved!!! thank you all so much! I hope my post , colorful as it is, helps some other girl who wants to try this..(disclaimer- not medical advice, I am not a doctor!!!) but I feel right now so much better and brighter !! like I took a major polluter out of my body!! thanks guys!!!xx

#128 of 167 Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM

This must be a real catchy topic for people who were previously not mothering members, or lurkers have been inspired to come forward. 53 people on this thread have only 1 post to their credit. Some have more, but have only posted on this thread.

Interesting information. Good to know it is so easy. (I've not read all of the posts. I'm only on #28, but I was curious when I saw the complaints about 1 post posters and counted all of them. Now, back to read more of the thread.)

#129 of 167 Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana Chavez View Post

We have 2 children and have decided to go for number 3.  I will be removing it tonight....will keep you posted!Sheepish.gif

So, how did it go?

#130 of 167 Old 12-05-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

I agree shadowmoon. Not sure if it is a group against the iud or a group trying to inflict harm on cervixes.

As someone that had a pregnancy complicated by cervical issues, I wouldn't suggest doing a self removal if you intend on getting pregnant.

It probably does not harm if one follows the instructions posted here. Personally, I would believe that these women really did pull them out. Am I gullible? Maybe.

#131 of 167 Old 12-08-2013, 12:21 PM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I have a flexi T 300 copper IUD. After reading through this thread I went into the shower, got all cleaned up and when my fingers were good and pruny I lied down in the shower (heavily on the rags), and when I finally got a grip on the string with my middle finger and my thumb I pulled gently. I felt nothing so much so that when the string started coming out I thought that maybe my fingers were just slipping off but nope! Before I knew it I was cheering out loud with the wretched thing in my hands! Gave my mother a fright lol! I am so glad that many of you have gone before me to make a leap of faith in a desperate moment to regain normalcy. 

I had it inserted middle of September. I knew my periods were going to be more crampy and whatnot but nothing like I imagined. On top of having pains that felt exactly like some of you said, a pen jabbing me from the inside out, I was in full on bitch mode for a whole week each month, I had terrible acne, I developed eczema on my chin and mouth area, I had intense migraines and 2 weeks of the month I felt like I couldn't even move without feeling the tenderness of my uterus it felt so swelled. I realized I had a copper toxicity a month ago and started taking zinc every day, the acne has gotten a little better and my migraines are just barely gone, if I skip a day of taking my zinc I'll wake up the next morning with a slight headache until after I take another zinc supplement. I was still a little bit moody while taking zinc and in general I had an overall feeling of not being myself, or being well. I made a doctors appointment the 20th of December (it is right now the 8th) to get it out but I had started my period today and thought to myself I can't handle another week of being on the rags like this. I was doubled over in pain out of no where I would feel a stabbing feeling inside me and my uterus just always hurt and felt swollen. I feel empty now and the pain is almost completely gone aside from the crampy rag feeling that's naturally there this time of month. I felt human again immediately after taking the damn thing out! 

THANK YOU ALL! 

#132 of 167 Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM

I'm trying to take out my IUD but I can't find the string. Did you find the string right away or did it take time ?
#133 of 167 Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM

I just found this thread after not being able to get into my ob/gyn for months and of course having to pay a fortune for remove.  I just removed mine.  My threads were pretty long but slippery. Took about 10 minutes of maneuvering with a mirror and a flashlight,but it was as easy a stated,  a tiny bit of cramping for a few minutes but no big deal....Saved a lot of time and money and like a lot of other posters stated:   Once I saw how easy it was I would have been a little ticked if I had waited and paid.

#134 of 167 Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Okay so I really need y'all's input about this; ever since I got the IUD inserted (nov. 12) I've been bleeding non stop, random flare ups of horrible pain that honestly were just like labor pains, weight retention, bloating, mood swings - the whole 9 yards.
After my doctor had to prescribe me tramadol AND Vicodin just to deal with the pain, they cut me off and told me to take 4 ibuprofen every 4 hours...( really, guys..?) they checked to see if it was placed correctly by ultrasound and it was fine. But, I got hooked on the tramadol and now that I'm clean off it, the excruciating pain is back and I'm DONE...
I want to take it out myself, but friends and fam are advising against it.
I would just like feedback from you who have had similar problems with it. I managed to get a hold of the strings no problem; my cervix is so swollen and angry still from just having it in, I noticed; but then I weenied out... Please help!
#135 of 167 Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 AM

So I just found this thread looking for information on IUD removal at home and then had a look around the site and thought I'd join...

I'm really nervous about the thought of taking mine out at home myself, but I have put on so much weight (2 stone since I had it inserted despite living a more healthy and active lifestyle than ever) and the other symptoms are really causing me to become down, that I know I need to get this thing out of me.  I also know my Dr won't be happy and will probably fob me off.  So I'm thinking I might give it a go and if it's easy and painless, I'll have a try.  If it's not, then I guess I have to beg my Dr to do it...  I'll let you know how it goes!

In the meantime, I'm going to go have another look around and get to know everyone... :)

A_Random_Phrase likes this.

Mad Mum of many

DS1 (13), DS2 (12), DS3 (10), DS4 (8), DD1 (6), DD2 (5), DS5 (4)
Pregnant with miracle baby #8 (DD3) coming November 2014
#136 of 167 Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I removed my copper IUD last week. I had it in for 18 months with no problems. I loved it! Normal cycles, no pregnancy, no side effects. We decided to go for one more baby and I am too cheap to pay to have it taken out.

I just crouched down, fished around with my thumb and forefinger till I felt the strings, bore down, and pulled steadily. It came right out and I felt nothing at all. Took about 20 seconds. I did get a bit of a rush for 10 minutes afterward, which I bet was some sort of nerve response to it passing through my cervix.

Hope that helps someone out there who is skeptical of new posters as I have been a member for nine years (though I don't really see why - who would profit from lying about removing her own IUD? I don't get it.)
A_Random_Phrase likes this.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#137 of 167 Old 12-29-2013, 01:35 PM

So, its been over a month since I removed mine, I feel great. I didnt even realize it made me hold weight in my belly area, but I dropped about 10lbs already, my stomach is flat! mood swings do not last for 2 weeks, just a few days.... downside is having a normal peroid, I did bleed for about 2 weeks when I took it out, was very thick with clots, but my last was normal. Glad I didnt pay someone to do it, was super easy.
#138 of 167 Old 12-30-2013, 02:33 AM

Quick update.  It turned out to be a bit of a non-issue for me in the end.  After a couple of weeks of cramping and pain and irritation, I went to the toilet last night and noticed the strings were literally hanging out rather than inside anymore.  A quick tug, with no resistant and the damn thing fell out.  I can only assume that it'd dislodged or come part way out already as once it was out the cramping pain and irritation inside went away immediately.

Was obviously definitely time for it to come out.  Whether I was going to do it or not (I'd decided not too because I'm a wimp)!

Mad Mum of many

DS1 (13), DS2 (12), DS3 (10), DS4 (8), DD1 (6), DD2 (5), DS5 (4)
Pregnant with miracle baby #8 (DD3) coming November 2014
#139 of 167 Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 AM

For those who kept having problems getting a grip or finding strings: I have a tilted cervix, so it was hard to be at the right angle to touch the strings. When I finally got them, they were so short I could barely get a grip on them with my nail. It took me about an hour of messing with the strings to finally get them to the bottom of my cervix. After trying over and over I realized there was just no way to get both my finger and my thumb up there at the right angle to pull it out-and my husband was completely freaked out and refused to help with the process and somehow damage my goods I guess, lol. I eventually got a pair of tweezers and used my index finger to guide them to the strings and after 3 tries it just slid right out. I didn't even bleed-maybe like one tiny dot and that was it. I already feel like this weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Ever since I got the Mirena, I gained 20 lbs (I've had it for a year) and no matter what I do, I could not lose weight. I got to the point where I could maintain my weight, but not lose it. Plus I was always depressed, irritable, tired, my acne even started up-horrible. I would rather not have sex then deal with the weight and self-esteem issues it caused. But luckily my husband has insurance and is getting a vasectomy and we will deal with just condoms until then.

P.S. I have visited the doctor a few times and they could never find it-but I go to a clinic with a sliding pay scale and I was able to get the Mirena for free through a low income program. And they insisted on me going to get x-rays to find it-more $ I don't have. I guess I could just feel where it was because it's my body and I could sense it better.

#140 of 167 Old 01-03-2014, 01:40 AM

I want so badly to have my IUD out I can't afford to go to a dr and I can't seem to get it out... My cervix is tilted so I get ad far as feeling the threads but can't grab it. Any suggestions... I can't seem to do it
#141 of 167 Old 01-03-2014, 01:40 PM

I am not afraid to try removing it myself, but I'm having a hard time finding the strings. I'm desperate. Any tips?

#142 of 167 Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM

If u can't find the stings no matter how much u look for them it might have traveled further up... In that case u might have to go to the doctors to see... Have u been experiencing any abdominal pain? Or any pain at all?
#143 of 167 Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 PM

Well I took my own iud out tonight at 730pm soon as I pulled on the strings at first it was hard to pull they kept sliding out of my fingers then I tried one last time and soon as it started coming out I started cramping not bad but I could feel the cramping then I started bleeding its 1130pm now and I'm still cramping not sure if I'm bleeding still or not I put a tampon on soon as I pulled it out I have had mine in going on 7 years was always scared to go to dr to take it out when I got to reading here it made me want to do it myself so I did do it myself good luck toanyone who does it it came out easy just hard to grab string without finger slislipping off good luck
#144 of 167 Old 01-05-2014, 01:47 PM

So Ive read through this thread & I've been able to find my strings but I just can't seem to get a hold of them at all. I plan on trying again tonight to remove this darn thing. I've had my mirena for close to 2 years now and I can't stand the weight gain, fatigue, acne etc.
I'll post again later, hopefully with good news!
#145 of 167 Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM

I have been trying to get mine out for the past few days. But my fingers r short and evertime I locate it and feel the strings I can't seem to get it. Any ideas someone please? Im loosing patience but can't afford to go to a doctor. I think I moved it out of place though... Kinda hurts
#146 of 167 Old 01-07-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommycakes872 View Post

I have been trying to get mine out for the past few days. But my fingers r short and evertime I locate it and feel the strings I can't seem to get it. Any ideas someone please? Im loosing patience but can't afford to go to a doctor. I think I moved it out of place though... Kinda hurts
#147 of 167 Old 01-07-2014, 07:34 AM

Someone on here said they used tweezers if u try that good luck my sure they r clean
#148 of 167 Old 01-08-2014, 12:05 PM

I called the Dr office where I had mine placed n they're only gonna charge me $100. Good luck ladies and I wish u all a safe removal and recovery from removal. I know I'm gonna be mad for having to pay to get it removed but I couldn't do it myself... I ended up hurting my wrist I tried so hard.
#149 of 167 Old 01-08-2014, 06:32 PM

After a few days of trying (15 minutes here, 30 minutes there) I successfully removed my mirena about 10 minutes ago smile.gif
I was determined to get it out tonight - it took me an hour, 3 gloves and cramped fingers but I couldn't be happier! Once I was able to get ahold of the strings it was a piece of cake. After placement I had to go back & get my strings shortened bc my partner was being poked by them so this was a real task.
So far no cramps or discomfort - ill keep you posted ladies smile.gif
Good luck!
#150 of 167 Old 01-08-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaangel View Post

Have you tried using a glove?
Closed Thread

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page