Can you remove your IUD at home? YES! You can! - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#151 of 167 Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just want to thank you ladies for giving me the courage to take mine out myself. I had my mirena placed after the birth of my second child in 2007, and tho I was told they billed the medical card for removal at the same time, after 6 months I was off the medical card and couldn't afford to take out insurance where I was working. We moved to a different state and I got a job at Mcdonalds.. making only 7.38 an hour, with rent and everything else not to mention 2 kids under age 4, I definately couldn't afford it and didn't qualify for a medical card. The first couple years with the mirena in were ok, didn't have any problems or a period, but the last 3 years have been horrible.. I've suffered from bouts of severe depression, the moods swings have been horrific.. my husband became frustrated with me bc I never wanted to be intimate, my lower back started hurting and eventually would go numb and the pain started shooting down my legs. I suffered with heart palpitations.. had numerous tests and ultrasounds done and they couldn't find anything wrong with me. I've never really been a skinny girl, but I've gained nearly 100 pounds while on it, and that just made me feel so much worse. I never wanted to do anything but sit and wallow in my own misery, and for the last couple of years I have been a bad mom.. I've taken care of my kids, made sure they were fed and bathed and got to and from school safely and on time and made sure they've done their homework, but I didn't really spend any time with them. And with my mood swings the slightest thing would set me off yelling, and then id feel so horrible and start crying bc they didn't deserve that. But after reading all of the posts and seeing that there were other women out there suffering like I was, this forum gave me the courage to take care of the problem on my own. I tried for a little under 2 hours Friday night to take it out, but I couldn't quite reach the strings, so last night before my husband went to work he ended up removing it for me. Let me tell you, it was like a ten ton weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I didn't feel it when it was coming out, and I only cramped for a little while. I spotted up until about 430 this morning, but nothing since. I'm glad to have it out, I want to be the mom and wife that I was before, and I have you all to thank for getting me there<3
#152 of 167 Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM

Hi everyone I'm Nikki and I'm about to remove my mirenai can't take it anymore!! Going on 2 years
#153 of 167 Old 01-16-2014, 01:54 AM

I just want to thank you ladies for all of your help. After reading all of your stories i finally got up the courage to remove mines myself late-night. It was as easy as slicing pie. After 7 years of constant headaches, weight gain,terrible mid settings and 0 sex drive i was over it. I asked felt tired or like i was pregnant. I was snapping at my boyfriend avid son fit no reason. I decided out was time after reading all our your helpful stories. So while my boyfriend went on the living room to watch sports center i went on the bathroom grabbed a glove avid just did it. Took all of 5seconds. No pain. Just mild cramping. Tracks again ladies. I've never been happier
#154 of 167 Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 PM

I just took my iud out it was so easy and no pain. It was making me sick
#155 of 167 Old 01-29-2014, 05:44 PM

Thanks very much to Kylee W Moore and all the other ladies for the information posted. I've been thinking about removing my Mirena IUD for the last few months and since it was inserted surgically, I was dreading making another doctor's appointment to remove it. After reading the first post by Kylee, I felt a glimmer of hope. Then I read some other stuff online and all the fears came right back.....so I re-read Kylee's post and built up the courage and confronted the task at hand immediately.

It was so easy and painless!!!! I would've been so upset if I wasted my time and money at the doctor's office.

I simply squatted and reached for the string. It seems like my doctor cut off most of the string so the little that I did get to hold onto, I held with my index finger and thumb nail and gently and slowly pulled. It was out in less than 15 seconds! That was about a half hour ago. I still feel slight cramping now but nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the fine information. I will keep you all informed about any other side effects (if I experience any), but so far I feel great except for the occasional cramping. No bleeding yet......

NadiaC

#156 of 167 Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I saw someone post on page 1 that a lot of people posing on here only have 1 post. I think that is because this is a subject people are finding the board about. They are looking for support and information about removal.

Thanks ladies- I have been here forever and love this thread. 

circusbird likes this.

[B][I]~Ang~ Mom to 2 sport-head crazy girls: Rainey and Breeze  and my little lost love- @18 weeks with gestational age of 7 weeks
#157 of 167 Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 PM

Thanks to this informative threax I was able to easily remove my merena iud by myself in less than a minute. It was painless and saved me $100 bucks. I have been having crazy hormonal issues and have even seen a dr 3 times and they never mentioned this could be a culprit. I hope I am on my way to feeling better now. Will update soon.
#158 of 167 Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 PM

mine was inserted on 2/18/2014....i removed it on 2/19/2014......Why did i remove it so fast....What was my experience..And how was the removal process...? How did i feel after and how am i now?

Why did i remove it---After insertion i was dizzy and crampy....then the dr reached me the information pamphlet about the mirena as i skimmed through it omg, i was so pissed about the things she didn't tell me....There is a list of health conditions that ARE NOT SUITABLE  for the IUD Among this list were; Immune problems, Liver problems, And diabetes.....My Ob/Gyn knew that after the birth of my daughter in 2011 i was diagnosed with autoimmune liver disease, than diabetes!

My Experience - I was sick all day, almost automatically there was a annoying pain in my right hip/leg and lower back. I constantly felt like i had to go pee && honestly felt like i had a baby kicking in my stomach, every time i felt the very noticable flutters i would turn pale and almost have a panic attack...I was severely bloated--the whole 9 yards in less than 24 hours of usage! I could feel it in me constantly, a lot of pressure like i had to poo....The only way i know how to completely describe the way i felt is by saying this....The last time i felt exactly like this was when i was induced with my daughter..except the feeling of having to go to the bathroom was like a 7 on a scale of one-ten...My labor was of course a 10.

Removal process - Honestly i was scared shhhhettless! i could not stand it anymore i was bloated and dizzy and i was done with it all! so i let my 2 year old take a bath i washed  my hands, Closed the shower curtain, Covered my legs with a towel, Reopened the curtin and while i kept a straight face, I i felt around for the strings, They were looped, so i had to fish around, & after straightening them back out i had to stop, pull my pants up, wash my hands and fix the plug on the bathtub because my little rotten angel was screaming "NOOOOO! water is leaving!' And of course to keep her in the tub i ran freshwater...And again washed my hands and got resituated....I found the strings yet again and pulled slowly,. 

After - as soon as it come out i felt relief & i was dizzy for almost 2 seconds...Then i was completely fine..One or two cramps..Then IUD had only what i can describe as a mucus plug around it....not near as big but it looked like snot...I felt 10x better the whole day & realized that normal periods are way & i do mean WAY better than even one day with marena! and this is coming from someone with PCOS! I was dancing around with my daughter all day.... Every bit of the back/hip/leg pain was gone in less than 30 minutes,,,

Now   -  Yesterday I started my period back (2/20/14)...Which on my normal period if i have sex within 2 or 3 days after i quit i automatically start back anyways so its no big deal to me. no pain at all,

#159 of 167 Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM

So i just made this account to tell whoever searches for self iud removal that i removed my own iud after reading this thread!!!

I made an appointment today with gyno but they can't see me till the end of march! That's irritating! So i researched just thinking if anyone was "crazy" enough to do it themselves! Yup! And i'm just as crazy!

I removed my mirena about an hour ago! No pain! No cramping! Some spotting now! But seriously, no problem! Easy as heck! Took 10 seconds to get the strings, pulled slowly (thought it wasn't moving) and then all of a sudden there was my iud in my hand!

I have been married 3.5 years and we agreed it was now a great time to no longer have control! smile.gif

And after reading this thread... I've gained 20lbs since having it placed and yea the mood swings (yikes), they were bad!

Well anywho... Here is my one post! smile.gif

Thank you so much for this thread! <3
circusbird likes this.
#160 of 167 Old 03-01-2014, 11:31 PM

I finally, after reading this thread, got the courage to remove my IUD.

I had mine inserted 5 years + 1 month ago. Lately, things had gotten a bit "funky" down there (roughly every 22 days, just like my pre-IUD cycle) toward the end of my five year mark. Uninsured and financially stretched, I truly did not want to pay someone to do something you all said was so easy.

And girls: In five years I never found these "threads" around my cervix, so I doubted mine would be easy to find. I thought perhaps they might be cut too short.

But what the hell? Here's what I did:
Sitting on the toilet with clean hand, I used my index and middle finger to sweep the cervix. I had to push, as in labor, to bring my cervix within reach. I found my strings on the first try, but it took five tries to grasp the strings with my index finger and thumb. There happened to be a knot on the ends and it slipped right out. My doctor had tied that knot, and I remember why I loved him--he was a practical dude. Thanks Doc.

This was 10 minutes ago and I'm elated! So much easier than appointment, flash vagina, traffic, $300, etc

I have the mildest of cramping and will rest tomorrow just in case.

I want to thank you all for the courage, details, and info. You just saved me some real cash.
ninarenee likes this.
#161 of 167 Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Hi everyone
So I been had my IUD in for about 3 in a half years and I'm not like in it anymore at all Evernote thro I love not having a period for these three years I feel like something ain't right I sometimes feel like I'm pregnant and there is a baby inside me kicking and moving and I been having all these headaches and this discharge that I never had before I got this IUD and I been thinking for a while now that I wanted to remove my IUD but I'm kinda scard to do so even thro my kids are 5 and 6 I just want to be back to my self and lose this weight I gain wit this IUD so can anyone help me?????
#162 of 167 Old 03-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Thank you so much for the confidence boost! I am trying this as soon as I am done typing! I am so sick of my Mirena! I have had nothing but problems from constantly feeling pregnant, to horrible mood swings. Thank you guys for making me feel better and letting me know how to properly yank this sucker out! Fingers crossed it works!!!
#163 of 167 Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 AM

This article was extremely helpful! I was scared to death of removing my Mirena IUD by myself, but I literally just went into the bathroom, felt for my strings, grabbed and pulled slowly for about 10-15 seconds and I came right out! No pain except a little light pressure. Thank you! 

#164 of 167 Old 03-05-2014, 06:43 PM

Hello Everyone! First, thank you to everyone who provided information on the process of what to expect and the best process for removing your IUD. I just removed my Paraguard after having it 5 months. 5 months of hell for my body! The insertion was exceptionally painful (I burst into uncontrolled gasping crying upon "measuring" of my uterus)! I should mention I have never been pregnant or given birth. And since the insertion, I have had a pinching/ cramping/ inflammatory feeling in my lower abdomen that my doctor insists will "go away" if I just give it time. My periods have become more frequent (every 23 days) and they last for 9 - 11 days with severe bleeding- up to 3 oz. blood per day. The cramps are so bad I can barely make it into work after taking ibuprofen. I am very "in tune" with my body and just knew my body was not accepting this foreign body.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, but that is what brought me to this forum in the first place. I google "self removal of IUD" and read approximately 100 posts before deciding I would give it a try. I just want to verify the fact that you can remove the IUD yourself! I was concerned it may have implanted itself in my uterus since I was constantly "feeling" it in my uterus. I told my husband my plans to take it out myself (he was supportive of it being removed but not so much of me removing it instead if a Dr.). Anyway, I decided tonight was the night! I currently am on my awful, painful period (caused by the IUD) so I figured if there was any minor cramping during removal, as some women experienced, it wouldn't be any worse than what I am going through right now:) so I put on a pair of latex gloves, I took from work, found the strings and applied a constant ever increasing pull. It took a fairly strong pull, but as soon as the arms of the IUD gave in ( as they are meant to do) it easily slipped out. It took all but 2 or 3 minutes! There was only a slight cramp (less than the ones I have been experiencing during my period). I felt immediate relief! Ladies you can do this! Hope this helps! I'd be curious to read anyone's "bad" experience while trying to remove their IUD.
#165 of 167 Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 PM

Just joined, learning to use this site and loving it! Thank you, this was very helpful to me !!
#166 of 167 Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 PM

I have just pulled my IUD out. It was unexpecting, but I am happy that I got it out because the fatigue and the weight bothered me a lot. For the past couple of months when I went to check my strings I was pulling out plastic. It really bothered me, but now I am sort of relieved.

#167 of 167 Old 03-07-2014, 09:47 PM

After researching Mirena IUD removal and reading dozens of posts from women who self removed online, I decided the month long wait for the gyn appointment wasn't worth enduring anymore Mirena side effects. I had a vasovasal response while replacing my IUD at the doctor's office, which consisted of pain like I had never felt before, almost fainting and a few tears. The doctor told me that the procedure can stimulate this nerve in your cervix and make you very disoriented and light headed. I had some juice and laid down for 30 minutes and was fine. When I decided to try and remove my own IUD, at some point I started to feel this reaction coming on and stopped. The IUD apparently moved back to its original position on its own based on the position of the strings. My boyfriend agreed to help me, so he pulled until the strings were almost out of my vaginal canal but as soon as the IUD reached my cervix my heart started racing, I was shaking, crying and yelling. He stopped and the strings retracted. Disoriented, I decided he better just get it over with. He tried one more time but the strings slipped from his fingers and the next thing I know I am on the floor hyperventilating with my boyfriend begging me to respond. I'm writing this two hours later now that I feel normal again and I can now only feel one string. This was a really terrible and scary experience (you know, blacking out and falling over isn't very pleasant) and I don't recommend that anyone remove their own IUD. 

Closed Thread

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page