Poor quality sleep - what to try? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my sleep experience:

• Need 10-11 hours of sleep each night and don't always feel refreshed even then. Am a zombie on less. Prior to motherhood, I always thrived on 9 hours, which is more than average, but felt well-rested at that. But 10-11 is ridiculous, and I also resent how it steals time from my waking hours too.
  • Can't always achieve deep sleep. Often am semi-conscious much of the night.
  • If I am awakened for whatever reason, it takes hours to get back to sleep.
  • I've never been an "asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow" person, so this isn't new, but it can take a while to get to sleep at night, even though I'm tired.
  • I have a good sleep environment set up, so I don't think it's an issue of temperature (bedroom is cool and I have all the blankets I want), light (bedroom is dark), or noise (generally enjoy quiet). I also sleep alone now, except for my cat (who is a comfort).

I have sometimes used L-theanine, which really helps me achieve deeper sleep. I can't take it for more than 2 days in a row, though, or its effectiveness declines sharply. On the other hand, the effect lasts for more than one day even if I just take it one night. I don't think it has completely solved whatever issue I have, though, because I still need a lot of sleep and don't bounce out of bed like I used to, pre-motherhood.

I see people all around me using CPAP machines and it seems like a sleep study might be a good idea. However, I am looking for other things to try as I am not prepared to cough up a $1,000 deductible for this.

If it matters, I do not snore (confirmed by other people). Probably doesn't mean anything.

What are other things I could consider or try?

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM

I have always been a "good sleeper", so, I am uncertain if what works for me will work for you, but, when I do suffer from insomnia or restless sleep more than a night or so, I start making sure I take a hot, hot shower at night.  I take the hottest shower I can stand and then get myself into my pajamas and bed as quick as possible.  I read somewhere that heating up and then cooling off signals the body to sleep, or is a part of the going to sleep process.  Since I smear myself in almond oil to make the hot shower less damaging to my skin, the bonus is I wake up from my finally restful sleep butter-soft.

My little sweet potato biscuit had a really bad evening yesterday, and ALL NIGHT I was far more aware of her than usual in my sleep...  even though she slept like a rock from all her upset and tiredness.  So getting up this AM was hard.  I'm sorry that's your situation all the time.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#3 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 07:57 AM

laohaire, I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to let you know-

Some folks who have sleep apnea do not snore. I have apnea and my husband could not tell. Now I have a cpap (hate it, that's another story).

#4 of 10 Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 PM

If you're not pregnant or breastfeeding, you could try melatonin.  Valerian and hops is another herbal combo that some people really like.  Making sure you're getting enough magnesium can also be helpful.  An epsom salt bath is an easy way to absorb magnesium, as are certain herbal teas (nettles springs to mind).  I've also found lavender EO to be helpful.  Rub a little on the bottoms of your feet and maybe your chest.  All of those are fairly cheap and easy.  :-)

#5 of 10 Old 04-09-2012, 04:28 AM

Another vote for magnesium, or liquid (absorbs better than tabs) calcium-magnesium before bed.

Make sure you are taking/getting enough B-vitamins. Take a b-complex in the morning, and perhaps even a separate B-6 and/or B-12 in the morning, too.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 10 Old 04-27-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the same exact problem. Add excessive night time urination and it pretty much sucks. I havent found an answer, just commiserating.

#7 of 10 Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 PM

I had apnea and I don't snore. It was "mild" and my doctor said not bad enough to treat. Another doctor later disagreed and treatment made an absolute world of difference for me.

I'd recommend a sleep study if you can. You can't treat disordered breathing in any way other than cpap or sleep medicine dentist provided devices after all and it's got major health effects.

You could try extended release melatonin in the lowest effective dose (low doses are available on Amazon).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

sbgrace, I say "bah" to you for telling me what I don't want to hear.

winky.gif

I think I'll try magnesium first.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#9 of 10 Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post

sbgrace, I say "bah" to you for telling me what I don't want to hear.

winky.gif

I think I'll try magnesium first.

smile.gif Sorry! I hope the magnesium helps!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 10 Old 05-02-2012, 09:14 PM

In addition to all the other advice, have you tried listening to sleep hypnosis tracks? It might be worth a try. Search for "Rob Gorick" and "sleep" on YouTube for a good selection of free videos.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page