MSM side effects: - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-16-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MSM seems to work well as a natural anti-inflammatory but after taking approximately 2 round teaspoons a day for about a week or so I suddenly got a moderate headache and became very nauseous.  I was also taking Motrin at the time so I wasn't sure if it was the MSM or Motrin that might have caused the symptoms.

I stopped taking both for a couple of weeks and then started again with the MSM at a much lower dose, about a 1/4 of a teaspoon a day, for about a week or so, maybe longer, except over the weekend.  Suddenly, on Saturday, I got similar symptoms as I did the first time around only with actual throwing up and a heavy dose of dizziness which lasted through Sunday night and lingered somewhat this morning (Monday).  Maybe it's just my imagination, but the pain it seemed to alleviate seems to be creeping back.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  If so, did you try again and successfully find the lowest therapeutic dose and manage to avoid a recurrence of symptoms?

Is it possible that the second time I experienced symptoms was because I skipped a dose for the day?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

~Cath

#2 of 2 Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you have any "silver" fillings?

From what I understand, MSM is one of the supplements which Andy Cutler recommends avoiding as it can apparently mobilize mercury.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page