Talk to me about your pertussis experiences - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My 2.5 y.o. son has had a cold and cough for almost six days, this concerns me as he is rarely sick and New Jersey has had a winter and spring of Pertussis outbreaks. I've been keeping him away from other children. I started him on Ascorbic Acid, while awaiting delivery of Sodium Ascorbate. I really hope this is just a cough and cold. Please share your personal experiences with Pertussis. Thanks.

#2 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since this isn't about vaxing, I'll move it to H&H. smile.gif

FWIW, I had pertussis and it sucked. I coughed and vomitted for months and ended up with RAD, which gives me the same cough/vomiting for every little cold known to man. That said, it's far more common that your LO has a regular cough/cold; if the cold/cough picks up in the next week, you may consider antibiotics to 1) shorten the time frame he is contagious and/or 2) treat the secondary bacterial infection he may have developed on top of a virus. I'm also a big fan of probiotics for pretty much anything, anytime. smile.gif

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Mosaic!

#4 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 AM

My 2 girls had pertussis last summer. My 6 year old had it first. It started with a persistent cough with no other symptoms. After a week or so her nose started to run. It wasn't such a bad cough...I kind of just ignored it.

Then at about the 3rd week she began to have classic pertussis symptoms; coughing episode with whopping that made her unable to breathe for a second or two and eventually leads to vomiting. This would usually happen in the middle of the night. It started with mild whooping and after a week or two got to the point where she woke up in the night unable to breathe due to the whooping once or twice each hour. That lasted about 2 weeks. Needless to say, I was extremely sleep-deprived! Dh and I began to alternate nights sleeping with her because I couldn't go on so sleep deprived. We had a bowl by the bedside because of the vomiting all night. She also would cough and vomit a lot after eating, especially with cold things. 

Eventually it went away. It took about 8 weeks from the first cough to where she wasn't wasn't vomiting anymore. Her sister (9) caught it but it was much more mild and lasted about 6 weeks. Besides on an off runny nose with my 6 year old, they appeared totally healthy otherwise. They both had plenty of energy and were happy and played all day. It was a concern for me but not so much for them. The only hard part was when my 6 year old couldn't breathe...she didn't like that...her lips turned blue. 

The problem with pertussis is that by the time you figure out what it is, it is too late to "treat". Antibiotics only work if given during the early weeks. So some people give it to siblings prophylactically. However, I am not a fan of meds so I did not give any to her sister. 

My main concern was that my little one was throwing up a lot and I was concerned about her not getting enough nutrition. I fed her a lot and I made sure she only ate really health food. No junk food. She got it. She didn't want to cough either. Also I gave them both raw colostrum, which is an immune system booster. 

The other real pain was that we couldn't have any friends over! And because I didn't know it was pertussis until 3 weeks in, I was worried that friends would have caught it. But no one did! However, after we determined it was pertussis we had no play dates for about 6-7 weeks. 

Also, I never went to the doctor. I spoke to the doctor's office and they said the culture would take weeks and that it was too late to give meds at that point. So I decided not to go. I did find out months later that if a doctor finds pertussis with culture they are required to report to state dept of health. 

"Become Independently Healthy" www.bodywisefoodsmart.com
#5 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 AM

My DS had it when he was 23 months old. Typical classic case symptoms. Runny nose and mild cold symptoms, then the cough started. I thought at first it was just another bad cold, but we had the paroxysmal coughing, vomiting, whoop, the whole bit.

We started him on SA to bowel tolerance as soon as we heard the first whoop. It took about two days or so at bowel tolerance for it to really make a difference in the intensity of the cough, but when it did, it was like night and day. The first few nights, he was coughing all night, we'd be sitting up in bed because of the mucus and vomiting. After the SA started to kick in, the vomiting stopped, the whooping was gone too and he was getting more sleep during the night. He still had the paroxysmal fits of coughing...but it was manageable. It had gone from nightmarish to "okay, this is not pleasant but it is something we can get through."

We quarantined him for three weeks from the onset of the cough. He was fully recovered in about five weeks (six, counting the initial catarrhal phase). During the last couple of weeks, he had his energy back, was running around, playing and to all appearances seemed fine until he'd stop and cough and then go back to playing.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#6 of 10 Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Mosaic, LoveRealFood and Japonica. From what you have described I can only wonder if this may be be Pertussis.

I am hoping the AA and SA may have helped before the cilia on the bronchial was damaged (thus leading to an intense cough and whoop to bring up the mucous). Because he has no whoop, no vomiting and only one longer bout of coughing in the morning when he awakes from a coughless night. The occasional coughs in the remainder of the waking hours are less intense. He is also a frequent nurser, day and night, thank goodness.

Tell me, did your child have a fever prior to onset of cough? My son did for seven hours, then his nose ran heavily (clear) and he began to cough. I started him on the AA/SA two or three days into the cough.

I also realized that this winter he had a runny nose several times, which is odd for him and wonder if it's related.

#7 of 10 Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Good news, he's been cough free for 21 hours!

When I tell you we are in an area of outbreak, it's apparent. I think it's been grossly underdiagnosed too. The few cases in the news are just a pittance. If by chance my son did get by this mildly, I am just so thankful. If it was yet another virus or bacteria than I am just as thankful. 

I have been reading more and of course Linus Pauling's work with Vitamin C and Dr. Klenner's too.  I also found the following from 1937, from Canadian Medical Association Journal. The responses to vitamin C, in all cases were remarkable and quick too. We now live in an era of vaccination and antibiotics, so it seems knowledge or even acknowledgement of this simple treatment for Pertussis (Whooping Cough) is often overlooked.

http://tinyurl.com/73ypxpt

#8 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 AM

what is AA? how much SA did u give your dc?

Me:  run.gif  DH:  hammer.gif 

Our babies:  reading.gif  blahblah.gif energy.gif moon.gif and a  stork-suprise.gif  coming in July

#9 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveOurBabies View Post

what is AA? how much SA did u give your dc?

I would like to know this as well, if you don't mind. :)

#10 of 10 Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 AM

I think that our DS2 just had pertussis, although the doctor said it wasn't because the cough wasn't severe enough. However, he had a really bad, uncontrollable cough for about 5 or 6 weeks which often led to him vomiting. He is not vaccinated and neither are lots of kids at his preschool. Many had the exact same symptoms and only one was diagnosed with a mild form of pertussis. One child who got the cough and is vaccinated went to the doctor and the doctor said there was no way it was pertussis as she is up to date with vaccines. Another was diagnosed with bronchitis. I think there is a lot of underdiagnosis and misdiagnosis of it. I was worried as I'm very pregnant and I really don't want it in the house with a newborn. However, I think we're all clear now. My understanding about the antibiotics is that it doesn't help the illness but it makes the child much less contagious.

Happy mama to DS1 (2006), DS2 (2007) & DD (2012)

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page