Prescribed antibiotics for a cold - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 6yo dd is currently battling a chest cold.  She has been fevering for a few days but it is currently gone.  While she was still fevering at about 101.9 and had a wet cough with some congestion, she was seen by our family Dr.  Our Dr. usually understands our desire not to over-use antibiotics and she usually is completely on board with avoiding the use unless there is a really good reason.  However, I was surprised that even though she said my daughter's chest doesn't sound bad but she wanted to use antibiotics just in case.  Antibotics JUST IN CASE???  I don't think so.  So, because i'm afraid to call and question her decision and say that I don't agree, I've skipped the antibiotics to see how dd does over the next day.  Her fever is currently gone which from what I understand would indicate there isn't any infection.  And without a secondary infection during a cold virus, there isn't any need for antibiotics, right?  My only problem is that though her fever broke, her cough sounds worse and junkier with congestion.  The mucus is still clear without any yellow or green.  And she says it doesn't hurt at all when she coughs...  So has anyone experienced a cold like this?  I don't want to use the Antibiotics (if its not necessary) but I don't want her getting bronchitis or pneumonia either...  Any advice?

#2 of 4 Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

If it is viral antibiotics are not oging to help anyway. We have only ever given them to our oldest 2 for dental infections and prophylactically once with a broken arm. 

If the cough is bothering her get an expectorant which will help move the moucas out of her chest. We get a good one from Whole Foods but should be at most health food stores. Also some warm tea and a bit of honey.Garlic can also help fight infection.

#3 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whats the name of the expectorant that you use? Can you give me an idea of how well it works for you? Also, how much honey/garlic do you use per serving?

#4 of 4 Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Natureade herbal expec..my husband and mil both think it is the best thing. We have a kids version too, don't remember if it is thesame brand,but this one is god for 6+.

About a tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm tea works well for soothing throats and breaking up gunk. 

Garlic, if she can swallow pills you could get some in capsules and give 1 or 2 daily or fresh I'd cook with as much as she'd  eat. 

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page