fingernail falling off? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-20-2002, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son had an infection near his fingernail for several days. His finger was red and swollen, but with treatment and care the infection is finally almost gone. However, now the bottom part of his fingernail has fallen off (approx 1/3 of the nail), and one side of it looks like it is coming loose also. I think the swelling caused a lot of pressure under the nail, and the rest may fall off soon. Does anybody know how we can best treat a fingernail that has fallen off? Thanks!

Paula
#2 of 8 Old 05-20-2002, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a totally random thing for me to know something about...

I ripped my toenail up all the way to the bottom by opening a door over my foot when I was young. The nail had to be cut off so for a while I had no toenail. I had to soak it in Betadyne several times a day to keep it disinfected, keep it covered most of the time for protection, then uncover it at night for air. The nail grew back - it was pretty cool after I got over the grossness.

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#3 of 8 Old 05-21-2002, 11:57 AM

two things actually...pretty strange, I had a dream last night that I ripped my fingernail off and there was another one under it! Real soft, but it was there!

On a serious note, my dad has always had his big toenail fall off. Every few years, it just falls off as the new one grows under it. My sister and I always thought it was the coolest! Depending on how old your son is, it may need to be covered just so he does not pick at it. The nail will grow under the old one. It will push up on the old one and just detatch it! One day the old one will just fall off! If it's pulled though, it will hurt because it may not be ready quite yet.

Hope that's helpful!
#4 of 8 Old 05-21-2002, 02:25 PM

That would be diluted betadine, right?

my dd had the same thing happen from a fungal thing she got over the winter.... it has pretty much grown back now.
#5 of 8 Old 05-21-2002, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hera
That would be diluted betadine, right?
Yes!

Analisa, Mama to Meg 12/12/01, Patrick 12/24/03, Catherine 12/24/03, Ben 2/26/06
#6 of 8 Old 05-22-2002, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice! About 40% of the nail is gone, but so far the rest is hanging on.

Why dilute the betadine? I didn't even know what betadine was until a couple weeks ago (another story!)

Thanks,
Paula
#7 of 8 Old 05-23-2002, 08:44 PM

Just one question: How is it remotely possible that you didn't tell me about this? It sounds horrendous. How is his finger doing now? Poor little guy!

Eve
#8 of 8 Old 05-26-2002, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

SeaMama!

Didn't I tell you? I guess it was just one more problem in our seemingly never-ending list of recent health related issues... I'll have to keep you better posted!!!

Paula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page