What is a good ferritin level? I am in the "range" but feeling fatigued - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had my iron panel done recently since I've been feeling really fatigued (among other things)

My ferritin level was 28 on a scale of 10-200. In my records the last time I had it checked was 4/12/10 and it was 165. 

Dd 2 was born 2/28/10, so the check was shortly after she was born. 

Is it just me or is a drop from 165 to 28 not mean anything? Hematologist I saw (for low platelets 105,000) said I was fine and in the "range".

My B12 and Folate were great. 

My iron was 81 on a scale of 22-146. 

TIBC was 377 on a scale of 200-400. 

Iron Saturation was 21 on a scale of 15-50. 

I really don't believe this "in the range" cr@p. Is there a good ferritin level that disregards that everyone in the "range" is perfectly fine? 

Thoughts? Thanks!

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#2 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 04:02 PM

From what I understand (having had issues with iron-deficiency anemia and B12 deficiency on multiple occasions), ferritin levels indicate how much stored iron you have.  When ferritin falls below a certain level, that means your body has used up its iron stores and iron-deficiency anemia will follow.  I wouldn't think your ferritin levels are a problem, and it makes sense that your stores have fallen after having a baby.  Just be sure to get enough iron in your diet so that it doesn't continue to fall.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  What did the hematologist say about the low platelets?

#3 of 3 Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post

From what I understand (having had issues with iron-deficiency anemia and B12 deficiency on multiple occasions), ferritin levels indicate how much stored iron you have.  When ferritin falls below a certain level, that means your body has used up its iron stores and iron-deficiency anemia will follow.  I wouldn't think your ferritin levels are a problem, and it makes sense that your stores have fallen after having a baby.  Just be sure to get enough iron in your diet so that it doesn't continue to fall.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  What did the hematologist say about the low platelets?

My baby is now over 2 years old, she is still nursing 2x/day, not sure how much comes out (there is no letdown). 

I have been taking the same prenatal (thorne) through my pregnancy and nursing. I eat meat all the time and green leafy veg.

I also had my B12 checked it was normal at 612   ref range 190-850

Folate was also normal (high?) at  >24   ref range Normal is >3.7 

He checked my TSH, it was 1.49  ref range .30-5.00. He would not check my free T3 & T4. Only if the TSH came back weird. 

I had a blood smear, which he said looked normal, no signs of anemia. All the cells were the right size and shape. 

This is how my platelets have gone recently: Feb 2 at 140,000 /March 13 at 124,000/April 4 at 105,000. 

I get them rechecked on 25th of May. 

He doesn't know why my platelets are on a downward trend. I have no "risk factors". ie certain indian spices, tonic water, hepatitis, HIV, ect. I have been tested for lyme...negative. He is not concerned unless they get to 20,000. At that point there is the risk of spontaneous bleeding (sounds fun). 

I also had an ANA screen done it was negative at .33 (0.00-.99)

ESR Auto Sed rate was a 2 (0-20)

C reactive protein was <0.5 (0.0-0.8)

I have an appt with my chiro/kinesology/cranial sacral lady next week. We'll see what she thinks. 

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page