We need detox for a 3 yr old after a CAT scan???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Our 3 year old baby had to have a head CAT scan. We are trying to find some good ways to detox her from that. The problem is that a lot of what we read is not meant for a 3 yr old. Or is food (that she is unlikely to eat) or herbs/tea that I am not sure is safe. Anyone know some things we should try or a good place to get that information?

thanks

#2 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What signs are you seeing that your dd is suffering from the after-effects of the CAT scan?

Usually, the best detox for little kids is adequate hydration.

#3 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 04:25 PM

I would add good all a round nutrition is a great way to support the bodies detox efforts.
#4 of 10 Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM

There is no reason because there is no proven detox for CT. You will be just torturing your kid with gross cleansers.

Detox form what? CT does not cause toxin production.

IF you child needs CT again, ask the doctor for MRI  so you do not have to accumulate radiation esposure

#5 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so maybe detox wasn't the right word. We want to clear the radiation from her body.

#6 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Ionizing radiation is not a chemical or biological substance, so there is nothing to be removed - so no detoxification necessary. The amount of radiation is low in diagnostics test.  If it was just  one CT, there is nothing to worry about.

Repeated exposure is different

If some sort of food or bath or cream work, we would not have so many dead people in Chernobyl

#7 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Alenushka-can you tell me why you think so? When we look online there is all sorts of articles saying how dangerous CAT scans can (could?) be. We also find a fair amount about taking kelp or clay etc. Thanks!

#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2012, 01:10 PM

The kelp recommending website are in business of selling you kelp and clay and detox drinks. Whale, Natural News and Mercola are not really scientific sites

Go to Pub Med and May Clinic. Talk to your doctors.

Repeat exposure to low level radiation can increase cancer risk, it is totally true but kelp will not help with it.

What helps with it is not to have unneeded test or switch to MRI

yes, CT are overused in US, but one CT for a good reason will have no long term effect on your child.

I do not know if you talk physics in college but they must of covered ionizing radiation at some point.  IF not, just go to some science website and read it.

You have nothing to worry about right now. Enjoy your life in peace.  If you have to do CT again on your child, discuss MRI with he doctor.

#9 of 10 Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope you don't mind if I chime in here. My mother is having a cat scan and while we of course are unhappy with the radiation exposure, we are also concerned with the contrast dye.  Are you also concerned with this?  If so, I too would like to know if there"s something that can be done afterwards to lessen the effects of the dye on the kidneys and such.  My grandmother probably had many more CAT scans that you but she currently has only 70% use of only her one kidney because of them.   

#10 of 10 Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 PM

As far as contrast follow the instruction. The post contrast CT instruction sheet usually states "No caffeine or alcohol until you drink 8 cups of water".

Also, if you are taking Metformin, you doctor needs to know as they will instruct you on how to stop it before CT and to restart.

IF you have kidney issues or elderly, creatinine levels need to be check before CT with contrasts.

Talk about risks with your doctor and see if there other test you can do if contrast worries you.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page