Eczema and Aquafor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3mo ds was just diagnosed with Eczema/atopic dermatitis on his face.  He's been rubbing what looked to be his ears and/or cheeks a lot this past week.  But the strange thing is that he's had this "rash" on his face since being 1wk old and its only now starting to really irritate him.  He wakes a few times at night rubbing his hand on his ear or cheeks and sometimes cries.  So, Monday I took him to his Dr. and they said it was Eczema or atopic dermatitis.  Btw, she checked his ears, nose, mouth and they seemed fine.  His lower gum is inflamed due to teething tho. But that's a whole other thread lol.  So, after diagnosing him with eczema and atopic dermatitis she recommends Aquafor or eucerin (sp?) which are petrolium based products.  And then she gave me a prescription for a steroid cream to use as last resort.  Well, I've heard bad things about all of those kinds of products.  But because he was so uncomfortable, i gave the Aquafor a try to start with.  It seemed to help short term.  It has decreased the redness and seems to alleviate the irritation for a little while.  Unfortunately, I have to apply it a couple of times - probably 2x a day and at least one waking at night to add to my other two wakings for breastfeeding.  (I'm so tired people) 

Ok, so this Aquafor sorta kinda works but its not something I intend to keep using.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for eczema or something this similar soothing properties as the Aquafor without the bad stuff?  And I'm accepting ANY advice you can give me on how to help his eczema.  Diet? allergies?  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both my DDs have eczema and both are/were breastfed. DD1 couldn't tolerate many products, including California Baby and Burt's Bees. What has really helped is Cetaphil products. I use their Gentle Skin Cleanser for baths and their lotion immediately after a bath to keep the eczema at bay. I did use very small amounts of the steroid cream the ped prescribed for DD1 to help clear up anything the lotion didn't take care of.

DD2 is milk/soy protein intolerant. She gets eczema, and has other symptoms (reflux, gas, fussiness, diaper rash) if I consume dairy, soy, peanuts and a few other things. By the time she came along, our ped had stopped giving out the prescription creams and recommended using an over the counter cortisone cream. She told me to mix a very small amount of it with the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream and apply that to the eczema. I use it very sparingly as DD2 gets eczema mostly on her face. When she isn't having a bad flare up, I just use the Cetaphil Cream on her.

Cetaphil isn't the most natural stuff around, but it has really helped us a lot. I tried Aquaphor and Eucerin on DD1 and they didn't seem to do much. Plus, I really don't like the way they feel. Must be the petroleum base.

Hope this helps :)

Shannon

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List