Accyclovier... and chicken pox - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 8 yo has chicken pox- woke up with first spots this morning and took him to dr and they gave me the anti viral medicine... do I give it to him?  I worry my main point is wanting him to have it when he is young and build up immunity- will giving him the medicine prevent that?

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I wouldnt do the antiviral. I would just support the immune system and let the child rest. The hard part is over now that the spots have appeared. They ususally dont prescribe antivirals unless there is a risk for complications, like if your child was in a weakened state or had some chronic illness. 

So yeah, lots of rest, fluids, maybe some vitamin C and D. Calomine lotion for the sores, and baking soda in the bath water for the itching. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

So far he only has a few spots- we are back to dr tomorrow to see if they still think it is chicken pox- I am asking for a second opinion from a different dr there.  He has not seemed sick at all but they do itch.

#4 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Our doc told us that for a healthy child it is not necessary to use the acyclovir. I am finishing up the week with 3 children all with chicken pox at the same time. It has been a loooooooooooong week. One of them just had 3 spots but didn't feel ill for several days. Then on the 4th morning she had 100! My guess is that your little guy is going to evolve and it is going to get clearer to you soon.

#5 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

He so far has been cleared as not having chicken pox.... he went back to school and seems fine... we will wait and see ifnothing else it reminds me I need to be looking for exposure this summer.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page