Low hemoglobin at 12 month visit - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS just had his 12 month WBV. He is breastfeed, no cow's milk, and on solids.They did a finger stick for a hemoglobin count and it came back 10.4. Doctor said 10.5 is where she would set the cutoff and prescribed a liquid iron supplement, and plans on rechecking his hemoglobin at 15 months. She said if it's back up after taking the supplement for those three months she'll need to rule out an underlying cause.

First, I'm uncertain about the supplement. It tastes awful (I could taste it through food and juice) and I imagine it will be a struggle to get DS to take it. Moreover, I know it can cause constipation. I guess with it so borderline I'm looking for reasons to just stick to iron-rich foods. I noticed that the nurse really squeezed his finger several times to get enough of a sample and I read in passing that this causes more serum in the blood and a lower reading?

However, I am also really worried because DS is a fantastic solids eater. He eats an egg yolk and either beef, fish or chicken thighs every day. On the days that I work he gets a jar of 3rd stage food which has iron. For the last week before his visit I made up a giant batch of ditilani with spinach and chicken thighs and he's been eating it every day. He eats Cheerios every time he's in the car redface.gif. We also delayed cord cutting at birth until it stopped pulsing. So even if he is on the negligible side of low, I'm baffled as to why he would be on the low end at all.

So I'm torn, part of me wants to not supplement because it's so near the cutoff and because of the drawbacks of iron supplements, but part of me is worried that maybe something else is going on that is giving him low hemoglobin even while eating tons of iron-rich solids, and I need to give him the supplements to see if there's a difference in three months (i.e., it will indicate something more serious that we can catch early).

WWYD?

Edited to add: He was small at birth, 5#7oz (but I'm really small) and had breastmilk jaundice for two months.

Moderately crunchy breastfeeding babywearing no circ fully vaccinating mama to DS born May 2011

#2 of 3 Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:

WWYD?

Me, I'd get a blood draw for hemoglobin rather than a finger stick.  I'd want a test I was confident in before acting.

#3 of 3 Old 05-22-2012, 11:29 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Oats contain phytic acid.  Phytic acid is a chelator for iron.  It flushes it out of your body.  I would cut back on grains, or at least only used soaked/sprouted grains, nuts and seeds.  Phytic acid also interfers with your bodys ability to absorb minerals period.  Do some research on westonaprice.org for more info.

Also, a blood draw is more reliable, and that is not extremely low anyway, I wouldnt worry too much either way.  But, grains are not as good as we are told they are....

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page