8 week old with chickenpox kisses - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a very sweet, affectionate and slobbery 3 year old that just came down with the chickenpox. He had fever a few days ago, which is when he became contagious, and no matter how hard I try, he just won't keep his hands and mouth off of his 8 week old sister. My husband is out of town and I'm new to the neighborhood, so I have no ability to separate them. My googling is terrifying me-- chickenpox can be fatal to newborns?! My daughter is exclusively breasted and I had them as a kid, so I guess she has some immunity. Still, I'm very nervous as I know that she has been exposed already.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
#2 of 4 Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM

There really is nothing you can do at this time.  It is unlikely your 8 week old will get the chickenpox (between your immunity, her young age and the breastfeeding).  At this point all you can do is hope for the best.

I was from a family of 9 and only one of my siblings had chicken pox as an infant.  My mom says he had one of the worst cases, but he was fine.  The vast majority of children who get chicken pox *are* fine.

#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2012, 10:14 AM

I'm going to disagree with the pp. Yes, it's true that there is very little you can do at this point. But I think it's quite possible that your baby will get chickenpox. I had a 3yo with CP and an exclusively bf 7mo. The baby caught it (he was fine). I had it as an infant, myself. I'd check in with your doc, though.
#4 of 4 Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

I'm going to disagree with the pp. Yes, it's true that there is very little you can do at this point. But I think it's quite possible that your baby will get chickenpox. I had a 3yo with CP and an exclusively bf 7mo. The baby caught it (he was fine). I had it as an infant, myself. I'd check in with your doc, though.

I'm sorry, but to clarify... it is less likely for very young infants to catch diseases their mother is immune to. From what I understand that immunity slowly decreases (as their own immunity takes over).  I did not mean to imply that a young infant CANNOT catch a disease their parent is immune to, just that they are less likely.  I also had two breastfeeding children catch chickenpox, so I *know* they can do it--- just everything I have read suggests that they  have a *lower* likelyhood.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page