Best supplements for living internationally? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-03-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have a 3.5yo dd and 4 month old DS - we are moving to Kampala, Uganda.  What supplements are most important for building their immune systems, and also for healing in case of sickness?

The most common illnesses in expats are diarrhea diseases - measles and pertussis are also a risk.

I'm thinking probiotics for everyday use, and then Vit C (sodium ascorbate) and Vit A in case of illness.  Anything else that would be useful?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 4 Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd think A would be very good to have in case of measles. You'd want quality probiotics that aren't heat sensitive I'd think. Florastor and epicore are very good and build the immune system too. So is culturelle. All would need to be taken continually though to maintain protection. I would think probiotics important. I'd want a good base probiotic (names escape me right now) to build up in the system that colonizes before I left.

Will deworming and the like be available to your children while there or would you need to bring those types of medications with you? Do you need to bring things like antibiotics?

Are you getting vaxed against those things prevalent there or not?

Vitamin D is very important for the immune system. You'd want a D3 form.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 4 Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks sbgrace, I appreciate it!

There is a good clinic by our house so all the conventional medicine will be available - deworming, antibiotics, malaria meds, etc.  I'm not sure how many natural supplements are available which is why I want to get those here.

We decided not to vaccinate for measles or whooping cough because we feel that the risks of the vaccine for our children is higher than the risk of those diseases (we have a family history of vax reactions) so we want to be prepared to naturally support their immune systems if they do get either illness.  Neither is extremely common but there are periodic small outbreaks so we want to be prepared.

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#4 of 4 Old 06-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah! I'm glad you've got access to good medical care.

In that case: vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D3, and good probiotics would be my top choices.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page