Icthing butts in little girls - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my five year old has been having an itchy butt for a while now. She only complains at night. I see that alot of you have mentioned worms but I have not seen them at night while she was itching or in her poop. Neither has my mom. It was just really red from her scratching. I know she has problems going to the bathroom and it can get itchy around that area if you can't go. Not sure if this is her problem or not? I changed her bath soap tonight from kids to sooting therapy bath wash. HELP!

#2 of 4 Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

I would very much check for pinworms.  THey only come out at night.  The least invasive way to check is to look at her bottom with a flashlight about two hours after bedtime.  You will see them.  They are small, threadlike and white.  A lot of time you won't see them in the stool.  The other way to test is tape on the anus right after waking up, which will reveal eggs and worm parts - this one is usually done at the doctor.  

Pinworms can spread to other family members because the eggs hang out under kiddo's fingernails and then get passed to another person.

Chances are if she has them, your whole family will have to be treated.

Good luck!!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 02:15 PM

It could be pinworms. You have good advice upthread on how to check for that. We had them here in my son and we did treat all of us "just in case" with the full protocol (which means treat and then again I think it was 2 weeks later, washing everything, etc.)

However you mentioned bowel issues. Is it constipation? Because that can cause tiny cuts (fissures) and as those heal they can itch a lot. The itching itself could cause little tears or scratches that heal and itch more too.

I'd rule out pinworms...maybe consider a parasitology test (I like metametrix comprehensive stool) give she's got bowel issues anyway. If it's constipation can they do more for that?

Cut her nails frequently and have her wash hands when she wakes up. That will keep down spreading pinworms and the like via stool in your home.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 4 Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I checked her but at night and saw nothing but she wasn't asleep. I am going to look tonight. She rarely goes to the bathroom and always has trouble going. It could be cuts because she itches it alot. I am going to make her a doctors app. and get it figured out. I know I have talked to alot of moms that have had these problems with their kids..maybe just a common thing in young children?

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page