shingles contagious-ness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A few weeks ago we were invited to a party where I learned someone there was having a bad bout of shingles. I did not go because I am not ready to have my disabled 3 year old have the chicken pox. How long is she contagious for? I hate to prod her as I'm sure she's already insulted and doesn't think it's contagious (it is).. but I just couldn't handle that right now with a kid who has zero communication skills. I would PREFER to wait a couple years when she can point to her pain or issue so I can help her better. (note I said PREFER I realize there will always be risks in the world)

how long should I avoid this person. I can't really inspect her body for scabs or anything or be too rude.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM

From what I understand, to get infected by someone with a shingles outbreak you need to come into *direct* contact with a non-crusted blister.  My kids got the chicken pox from their Poppa who had shingles (and told us he was not contagious) but they were wrestling with him and I'm sure had skin to skin contact.  You won't get it simply from being in the same room with a person or anything like that.

#3 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

well if she sits in the same chair or touches the same things that's going to be contagious and since they are related they will touch for sure. Plus she is the cook of the parties usually

#4 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlie View Post

well if she sits in the same chair or touches the same things that's going to be contagious and since they are related they will touch for sure. Plus she is the cook of the parties usually

I've read you need to make actual contact with the blisters.  Do you have any sources about shingles spreading through intermediate objects?

#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I know someone who had no personal contact but helped the elderly woman move and 14 days later he had a full blown case of CP at age 40. He wasn't near anyone else, there was no other way-he moved her chairs, sofa and table. He was only around his GMIL, his wife and son (one had CP and the other was vaced). 

I was told by my Dr (because I knew someone who had singles at the time I was pregnant) and this person was told the exact by his Dr-has long as they have blisters- they are contagious. 

http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/hcp/HC-settings.html

you might want to google shingles and airborne exposure

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I know someone who had no personal contact but helped the elderly woman move and 14 days later he had a full blown case of CP at age 40. He wasn't near anyone else, there was no other way-he moved her chairs, sofa and table. He was only around his GMIL, his wife and son (one had CP and the other was vaced). 

I was told by my Dr (because I knew someone who had singles at the time I was pregnant) and this person was told the exact by his Dr-has long as they have blisters- they are contagious. 

http://www.cdc.gov/shingles/hcp/HC-settings.html

you might want to google shingles and airborne exposure

Thanks!

#7 of 7 Old 06-16-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Makes logical sense that you don't need direct contact to me. It's like If I touch some jelly first and then you touch the jelly on my hand you magically won't get sticky.

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page