Trying to solve vitamin deficiencies, not finding much support - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas, I'm frustrated.  I've had a pretty good diet for a few years (somewhat WAPF, but not perfect by any means).  But, since my son was born last year and has struggled for most of his life with what appears to have been sensitivities via my breastmilk, I have really taken a closer look at my health in my efforts to help my son.  MDC has been immensely helpful in this journey, and I have learned SO much from reading past threads.  But there is just SO much information to digest.  So, I've been searching for a local practitioner of some sort who can help guide me through achieving optimal health.  Based on my son's experience, I started feeling like my digestion probably really needed some help.

Anyhow, I started out with a DO who has a very natural/holistic practice.  Through him, I was able to have some tests done, and the results really shocked me.  (This was the test: http://www.gdx.net/product/10051)  It said I was very deficient in almost all the B vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B6, B7, B9, and B12.  Yikes!  I am also very deficient in Vit. C, a-Lipoic Acid, and Zinc.  I am borderline in Vit. A, Vit. E, Magnesium, Manganese, and Molybdenum.

I didn't really get as much support from the doc as I had hoped in figuring out WHY I have all these deficiencies.  He recommended supplementing some things, but I would really like to get to the bottom of what is causing this in the first place.  (Here's another post where I discuss some of this).  At first glance, it seems like I have a malabsorbption issue.

I've been trying to do some in-depth reading on all these things, and I've come across some interesting info, but putting all the pieces together is so hard.

And what has sparked me tonight is I have a cold.  Another cold.  And now ds is sick, too.  I used to hardly ever get sick.  DH would have a cold, and I would not get it.  Now, in DS's short life, he's had 2 colds, hand foot & mouth, and now I guess a third cold.  My breastfed baby isn't supposed to get sick :(  He's at home with me most of the time, no daycare, only limited exposure to other kids.... so it baffles me.  I worry that if I'm deficient, then that means DS is deficient as well since he's getting the majority of his nutrition from me still.

I've seen an ND as well, and he's doing some classical homeopathy with me to "help my whole body heal."  I dunno what to expect from that, but DS has seen him too, and at least DS's sensitivity symptoms have started clearing up (no more green mucousy poop, yay!).  I'm getting off track.  Anyhow, the ND proposed that maybe I am deficient because I am nursing and DS is taking all my nutrients.  Maybe, I dunno.  Doesn't seem to me that should be the optimal way things work, but I guess its better to think that DS is still getting all his nutrients even if I am deficient.... that he took them all from me.

Anyhow, I don't even really know what I'm asking.  Does anyone have suggestions of other types of practitioners I might seek out who might be able to guide me through all this?  Or does anyone have any insights based on my ramblings??

Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

#2 of 3 Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Posting to remember to back with some comments and links tomorrow.

#3 of 3 Old 06-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm sorry you still don't have answers. I think maybe looking at GI function would be important. Metametrix has GI function tests (their comprehensive stool will look at infections and digestion as well as absorption). If you found your digesttion was poor you could do enzymes and similar. If your immune system was poor there are things to do for that (specific probliotics, colostrum, and some other things). If you have an infection (bacteria or parasite) you would treat it, etc.

Have you been screened for celiac disease?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page