9 YO Boy with blood in stool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He says it's been going on for a week, maybe more. He showed me today. It was strung along the outside of the stool and mucousy looking. His stools looked firmer than they've been earlier in his life. He says he hasn't felt sick or had stomach pain at all. He said he sees a little of the blood when he wipes on the toilet paper. I asked him if he's been having a hard time pooping and he said no. I said I remember his poops always being smooth and soft, has it been harder lately? He said yes. I told him about anal fissures and he said he did have a poop that hurt recently. He said it occassionally itches but I haven't seen any itching or heard anything from him that would indicate pinworms or anything.

So, am I right in thinking this is probably anal fissures? And how long is too long to be seeing blood in the stool? And he eats healthy and his poops are still quick (as in it only takes him a minute or two to go), so I'm not sure what I can do about their consistency changing recently. I would appreciate any help with this.

#2 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

And no, he's never had anything like this before. And I did talk him into letting me take a look at the rectum and it looked completely fine and normal, from the outside to the naked eye at least. His eating habits haven't changed either.

#3 of 6 Old 06-27-2012, 08:40 PM

If his poops have been harder, that could be causing little tears - especially if he's straining... I would probably call the pediatrician just to run it by them though - at least then you could have peace of mind.  One thing that I remember reading though is that it's "better" if it's fresh blood (as opposed to dark brown old blood) because it shows that it's closer to the rectum and probably more likely from something not too scary.

#4 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Bright red is generally less concerning. I would be thinking fissures too if he were mine with that description but I'd probably also run it by the pediatrician/HCP.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

That's good to know. Now it hasn't happened since I posted this thread. Thanks for your input. :)

#6 of 6 Old 06-30-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Also meant to say: I will update if it turns out to be anything other than fissures.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page