Taste changes in Floravital/Floradix? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

I've been taking Floravital (the gluten/yeast free version of Floradix) for about a month now due to pregnancy-related anemia. I'd heard the stuff tasted awful, so I was pleasantly surprised when my first dose tasted just fine. However, at some point part way through my first bottle (250 mL), it started tasting bad. I can't really describe it, just not like it tasted at first. I figured I had just been so braced for the bad taste I'd been warned about that it had seemed good in comparison, and now I was expecting it to taste better than it really was. Then, I got a new (500 mL) bottle and voila! It tasted good again. But now, about halfway through the bottle, it's starting to taste a little less good again. I can't figure out what's going on. I keep it refrigerated. I don't drink out of the bottle and do my best to keep it uncontaminated. I close the lid tightly.

What gives? Is it going bad? I'm using the dosage on the bottle (10 mL twice a day), so a 250 mL bottle lasted about 2 weeks, and my 500 mL is lasting about a month. It seems ridiculous that they'd sell it in bottles bigger than you could reasonably use before it went bad. I'm not even sure it's going "bad". Any other thoughts/experiences appreciated!

Oh, and also, as long as I'm at it - the instructions say to take 30 minutes before eating. Anyone know why this is important? And if I'm going to err, should I err on the side of taking it longer than 30 minutes before eating, or taking it with/after a meal? I don't always know/remember to take it 30 minutes in advance. I feel like I've read about something blocking iron absorption (calcium, maybe?), but I can't remember.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hmm, I've never heard of it going bed before the bottle is done if you're taking it as on the bottle.  Have you checked the expiration date on the bottles to make sure that you aren't getting bottles that will expire before you're done with them.  If people aren't checking that where you are buying it, it may be that they are going bad before you're done with them. 

Also, just the exposure to the air can cause the beginning of oxidation that can give it a more irony taste, but doesn't mean it's bad.  It's like leaving an apple out for a little bit and the white of the apple gets a bit brown.  I acutally like the taste of floradix too, especially compared to a couple of other iron supplements I've tried! 

If you are going to err on one side or the other, I'd say with floradix, which is easier on the stomach,  to take it further outside of your meal than closer to your meal.  I have read that there have been studies that show that calcium does inhibit iron absorption, and then other studies show it doesn't.  But I think to be safe, especially since you're already anemic, to keep them seperated. 

#3 of 5 Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I read on one of my thyroid groups,  that once you've reached good levels of iron, that the floidax will start to taste bad to you.....like your body's signal that you've reached your limit.... Buuuut I personally would confirm this with blood tests before I stopped taking it while pregnant ;-)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#4 of 5 Old 06-30-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

Hmm... interesting stuff. I did wonder if it was just oxidizing, and that may be it. I checked, at the bottles are nowhere near expired. Plus it seems strange they would instantly turn bad on expiring. Since it doesn't make me sick, I just keep taking it. It's too expensive to throw away!redface.gif The taste thing is a possibility, but again, both bottles started out tasting good, and then started tasting bad. I am getting my iron levels rechecked this week, though. I actually wanted them rechecked at my last appointment, to make sure I was getting enough supplementation, but I wasn't well hydrated, so they decided to forgo the vein hunt until next time, and just run all my 36 week labs two weeks early.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
#5 of 5 Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellebluetoo View Post

I read on one of my thyroid groups,  that once you've reached good levels of iron, that the floidax will start to taste bad to you.....like your body's signal that you've reached your limit....

I've noticed this too!  I've told me DH that I can usually tell when my iron is low because that's when Floradix tastes good to me.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page