High Altitude Gas Pain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

we love going to high elevations - about 8,000 feet.

lately i have discovered dd having stomach pain the whole time we are there which slowly reduces when she comes back. 

what can i do to help her? she loves the high altitude.

the problem is we live very close to sea level. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#2 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think that's terribly uncommon actually. Some people have trouble flying I know as the altitude expands the gas in the system.

Have you tried gas treatments (gas -x or similar)? That's what i do when my son has issues. You may have to play around with dosing if you're comfortable with that. My son sometimes needs more than typical doses. Simethicone is very safe.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We once found a really great traveler's gum (aimed at helping with digestive issues d/t travel changes).  It worked really well. . . looking around the internets I can't find anywhere that has it so it may not exist anymore, but a good natural gum (with real mint or similar) might help?

Maybe chewing toasted fennel seeds?  (I've mainly made teas out of regular fennel seed for gas - which helps a bit).

There's a yoga pose that both I & dh have used when having painful gas.   

#4 of 4 Old 06-29-2012, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

sbgrace we had to take dd to the ER because she had pain for the full 5 days. 

and the doc said there is really nothing to do (but were open to me seeking alternate treatment) and yeah gas-x was recalled. the doc and i felt we didnt really want to give her any 'medicine' whether herbal or not because you can only give so much medicine (not herbal) before the medicine itself can become a problem. i dont know if you can give Simethicone for a week and i am not sure i want her to take it for that long unless absolutely necessary.

oooooh mumkimum - yeah we did some yoga and other exercises and i even rubbed her belly. we also walked around.THANKS for hte headsup on fennel. i had forgotten about that. perhaps ginger too if i remember. 

anyways i'd like to come up with a treatment where we go prepared before the drive and after we arrive there. 

it is strange. she was at a height of 7000 feet for a week and did fine. then we slowly climbed to 10 and she got sick. i have to figure out which elevations affect her. we regularly go to 8 and 9. the first time she got sick was when we slowly went to 11. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page