Purposeful Chicken Pox - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have five children ranging in age from 14 years to almost three years.  The oldest 2 have had the chicken pox vaccine but the youngest three are completely unvaccinated.  A family friend recently had a case of shingles and her unvaccinated 14 year old daughter has contracted chicken pox, presumably from her mother. 

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should expose my children to her daughter in the hopes of giving them chicken pox.  Please give me your opinions and why or why not you would choose to purposely give your children chicken pox.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#2 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

This is such an individual sensitive decision to make.  My oldest 2 had the vaccine, but my youngest got chicken pox from my dh when he had shingles.  We did want him to get it instead of the vaccine, but I'm not sure I would have exposed him to someone else, besides family.  I honestly don't have any specific reasons why though, more of just a gut feeling.  I have nothing against exposing children to chicken pox either, though.  Again, it's such a sensitive issue.

#3 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know the answer to this but i wonder if it increases or decreases the chances of shingles in the vaxed older kids. I know the vax leaves a higher risk and kids now do get shingles. But I wonder if subsequent exposure after vax would give them a boost that would make it less likely or, conversely, the real thing after vax would possibly trigger a case of shingles.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page