DS7 5th day of 104+ temp - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 7 year old son is on his 5th day of 104+ temp.  His temp started on Thursday, June 28th.  He had stomach pain on Thursday, Friday, Sat., and Sunday.  On Monday (yesterday), his stomach only hurt when he was eating or drinking.  Today (Tuesday), he says it doesn't hurt at all.  Yet, he doesn't have much of an appetite.  He hasn't been eating much at all, but he is drinking water or occasionally chocolate milk.  He refuses juices.  

On Sunday night, he started coughing.  The cough has continued Monday and today.  We went to the doc twice yesterday.  Flu test is negative.  Doc says throat is not red.  Lymph nodes are not swollen.  Drainage is clear (yesterday morning) but said it was cloudy yesterday afternoon.  My son has asthma, but doc says he's moving air well.  Occasionally, he gets mucus in his airways, but when he coughs it clears out.  This was enough to warrant an antibiotic prescription yesterday afternoon.  He got a finger prick at the doc's office yesterday, which indicated his white blood cell count was in the normal range -- which means it's viral.  He has not vomited; though, he gags from time-to-time when he coughs.  His cough isn't croupy.  It's a fairly dry cough.  Motrin does bring down his temp in the 99.something.  He's pale but has rosy lips.  

He has had pneumonia about 2 years ago which ended him up in the hospital.  2 years ago, 3 separate doctors dismissed pneumonia because they couldn't hear anything.  However, the chest x-ray showed the truth.  Back then, he was vomiting everything and had rapid breathing (the reason I brought him to the ER).  

At this point, I have no reason to doubt that it's viral or anything more serious is going on.  But I thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 12:19 AM
J2

How is your son now? I wish there were more responses to your question. I cam on here because my daughter (almost age 4) is on day 6 of fevers. They have fluctuated all week to times of no fever to fevers of over 104. My 6 year old son was sick too and it lasted 5 days. But now my daughter is on day 6. Hoping she is ALL better soon as we leave for vacation in 2 days!!

#3 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Well, he still running a fever.  Yesterday, it got up to 103.5 before I could get him Motrin again (we were out at the doc, chest X-ray, and blood work).  Today, he has a 99.6 this morning, but I need to wait until noon or so to see if the fever comes back -- that's what happened yesterday.  Here's the update what happened at the doc's office:

1.  Slightly enlarged spleen.

2.  Chest X-ray as read by the nurse practitioner (the one we saw yesterday -- though, I'll just say doc for ease) said it was questionable for pneumonia.  So, she sent it to a radiologist to read who said it was normal.  It does not give me comfort at all.

3.  Sent for blood work.  Most of the results are in.  His white blood cell count is slightly low 4.3 when the low side of normal is 4.5.  This is indicative of a virus according to doc.  The quick mono test came back negative, but will wait for the results from the longer test that should be in today.  

4.  Doc asked for a urine sample to test for CMV.  24 hours turn around time on this -- so we're still waiting.

5.  When we went back to the doc to give the urine sample, she listened to his breathing, and she she heard crackles.  :-(

We have another appt this morning at 9:45 with my son's normal doc (he's been on vacation).  The nurse practitioner has kept saying that she will show all the stuff to the doc first thing in the morning and see what he thought.  It sounds to me that she's really doubting the "normal" chest X-ray.

My son continues to have a lack of appetite.  He's doing nebulizer treatments 3 times a day at the moment to try to keep his asthma at bay.  However, I do hear wheezing with a stethoscope normally before bed.

Yesterday, twice he thought he heard his dad and brother talking (they were not around).  Once at home, when he was running a 103.5 temp and resting on the couch.  I dismissed this, thinking he was just dosing off.  Then, later in the day, we had to go the pharmacy (by this time his Motrin was kicked in, and he was acting normally).  We were waiting to drop off a prescription inside the store, and he insisted that he heard his brother.  I didn't see any kids around.  There was a truck at the drive through, but I couldn't see or hear any kids in it.  He hasn't done that since.  I'll mention that to the doc this morning when we go.

He just finished his breathing treatment this morning, so I'm going to check him now.  Hopefully, your little one gets better soon!!!

#4 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Had I been either of you, I would have gone to the ER. 

Enlarged spleen?  Crackles in the lungs?  RED FLAGS.

I wouldn't go on a vacation when my child(ren) had been this sick.  NOt only for their comfort and well-being, but for other people. 

#5 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post

Had I been either of you, I would have gone to the ER. 

Enlarged spleen?  Crackles in the lungs?  RED FLAGS.

I wouldn't go on a vacation when my child(ren) had been this sick.  NOt only for their comfort and well-being, but for other people. 

Why the ER? Sounds like they are taking it seriously and getting treated by their drs--how would they get better care through the ER?
Hope both kids are feeling better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky mom to Oliver, 8/6/07, and Finn, 11/28/10, and wife to DH
#6 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Doc visit today was okay.  While there, DS only had 99.3 temp.  However, the first thing they did was check his oxygen level.  It was 94%.  The doc listened to him but said he couldn't hear anything with all the wheezing and coughing, so he had the nurse set up a breathing treatment up for him.  (I had just given him a breathing treatment 2 hours prior).  After the breathing treatment, his oxygen was up to 100%.  The doc said his chest X-ray yesterday did not show any pneumonia, but his asthma showed.  Doc also prescribed another antibiotic -- Zithromax this time which he's supposed to take along with the Augmentin he's already on.  The mono test has not yet come back, but the doc said that it will be negative since the quick mono was negative and he's already so far into this illness.  He said, they can use it to know if he has had mono before and use it in the future when/if he gets mono-like systems.  After we got home, DS was running 102.6 temp.  He asked for a breathing treatment (which the doctor also said we needed to do another breathing treatment as soon as we got home).  So, I got that ready for him.  Gave him Motrin after the breathing treatment.  DS still does not want to eat.  I got him to eat 2 or 3 potato chips and a Kit-Kat bar.  The doc said to get him to drink things with sugar.  He drank 2 juice boxes when we got home. So that's good.  This is day 9 with a high fever.  I'm going nuts.  I really don't think there's anything more the doctor(s) could do for him.  I just need to keep his asthma under control and keep him hydrated.  The doc asked me to call the office on Monday, and let them know how he's doing -- even if he's better.  So they can take him off his "worry list".  Luckily, the doc office does have weekend hours if we need to go on Sat. or Sun.  We like to try to avoid the ER/hospital when possible.  DS has been in the hospital 4 times (with anywhere from 2-7 day stays).  He remembers them all -- not favorably.  Most of his past hospitalizations were because of his asthma.  However, the last one 2 years ago was because he had the flu and developed pneumonia -- which his pedi missed twice, urgent card docs missed twice, and ER doc missed until the Chest X-ray came back.  Very scary stuff!!!

#7 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mono test came back negative.  Still waiting on urine test results.

#8 of 14 Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Today's update - 
The on-call doc reviewed the call log from last night when I called in about DS's ear hurting.  We never needed to use the drops.  She said that he needs to go to the ER because we were doing breathing treatments every 2 hours.  So, off to the ER we went.  He has pneumonia.  The ER doc said that he's right on the cusp of the age (he's 7) where he could get either kid's pneumonia (treated with Augmentin) or adult pneumonia (treated with Zithromax).  He was confident that the Zithromax the pedi prescribed on Friday would kick in either later today or tomorrow.

We got home around lunch time.  He plopped himself down on the floor.  I wanted him to try to eat something.  I carried him to the table.  He took one bite of lunch and took his Motrin (he had a fever).  Then, he threw up - a lot.  Not just mucus.  I didn't re-dose Motrin or anything.  I called the on-call nurse.  The nurse said it was probably just from one of his 2 antibiotics from this morning upsetting his stomach. 

Then, I was so hopeful, he was upstairs playing around with his little brother all afternoon.  I took his temp this afternoon, and it was normal!!  I thought he was getting better... until... 

Dinnertime rolls around.  He's not hungry, of course.  I get him a Grands biscuit with honey.  He ate about 1/2 of it.  Then he said that he needed to wash his hands because they were sticky.  He walked hunched over with his knees bent and bent at the waist/hips with his hands straight in front of him (he looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame).  He walked to and from the bathroom like that.    I asked him why he was walking like that.  He had a hard time explaining.  I asked if he was playing around.  He said that he was NOT playing around the the had to walk like that.  He could stand straight (no pain).  My husband asked him if he had to walk hunched over (swaying left to right as he walked) for balance so he wouldn't fall over.  My DS said, "Yes".  I got nervous about meningitis.  My son walked to the couch like that for his breathing treatment.  I gave him Motrin before his breathing treatment.

He fell asleep during his breathing treatment.  After his breathing treatment, he was breathing really fast ~55 breaths per minute.  I decided that I was going to get ready to take him to the ER again.  But by the time I got ready, his fever was breaking.  He could walk normal (though he's weak from 10 days of not eating much).  His breathing was down to ~22 breaths per minute.  He went to bed doing just fine.  So, now I just wait some more.  I'll check him before I go to bed tonight.  What a day!!  and what a roller coaster!
#9 of 14 Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 AM

Will he drink bone broth? It's full of minerlas and great for any illness. I don't know why the doctor would advise sugar. That's the worsthting to consume while sick. It will just lower his immune system further. IF he needs "sugar" why not do some raw honey in some warm tea? Just an idea. I know it's scary to see our little ones not eating but sometimes the body is better off focusing on healing rather then digesting. I would be more concerend about him getting enough fluids If anything. I hope tomorrow shows much more improvement! It's so hard when our children get sick. Let us know how he is tomorrow please! 

#10 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to follow up with how my DS is doing.  I took him to his pedi on Sunday (day 11 of fever), and she admitted him directly to the Children's hospital.  He was diagnosed with pneumonia and collapsed lungs (which sounds more serious than it actually is in my son's case).  He stayed Sunday night in the hospital.  He was on IV fluids and antibiotics.  He got put on Clydimycin (sp?).  He had a rough night on Sunday night, as his oxygen monitor kept beeping -- he was right at the 90% threshold of the monitor.  The nurse was in and out re-positioning him in bed.  On Monday, around 4pm, the doc gave us a choice to keep him another night in the hospital or take him home.  We ultimately decided to take him home.  We figured he'd be more comfortable and active at home which would help his lungs rebound.  We made it home, and he did okay.  He still has some breathing difficulties every now-and-then.  His oxygen sometimes goes to 90-91%, but we give a breathing treatment then it's back up to 95% (which still isn't "good", but it's better).

#11 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Oh dear. I just want you to know that I'm keeping you and your son in my thoughts. I hope he gets well soon.

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#12 of 14 Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM

Same here. What a horrible ordeal for your son AND for you! So glad it seems to be getting better.

Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband luxlove.gif(Aug '01)

Super proud Momma  to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)

Always loving and missing our Baby James angel.gif born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).

signcirc1.gif

#13 of 14 Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM

My 9yr old son is day 6 of fevers.  He gets up to 104-105 then down to 99-100 after ibuprofen.  We've been to the dox and the ER.  He was diagnosed w/ mesenteric adenitis but he doesn't have any stomach pain or nausea which is a common symptom of that.  His labs were normal from the ER except his liver enzymes were up a little and went up higher w/ yesterdays blood draw.  He's hardly eating and we are trying to get him to drink fluids.  I feel so helpless and scared that he's not improving.  I feel your frustration.  Hang in there!

#14 of 14 Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Mono test will come back negative even if patient DOES have it because it takes a while for the body to make the antibodies [which is what shows up in the bloodtests]. So, my doc told me not to bother to do the monospot test for a few weeks even. So, even though you have a neg. on the mono, I can tell you that from everything you shared, symptoms and signs etc, it definitely sounds like mono to me... my son has it and my sister has it [she is living with us right now, had been for 5 months or so]. They are tired all the time, wont wanna eat much, throw up a lot if they do eat, then get a cough and the cough makes them gag.. Fever really high one day, then only 100 the next. Sore throat one day, not too bad the next. This goes on for a long long long time. Mono takes forever to get over Im sorry to say.

It also can lead to pneumonia, so keep an eye on that.

Also, to the person who mentioned splenomegaly-- that is basically an enlarged spleen. This is oone of the #1 issues from mono-- the spleen enlarges and can actually rupture which is a life threatening situation. Hunched over kid-- might have pain in that area and so moving a certain way might have made it easier to walk. The spleen is high in the abdomen on the left side... 

This is a serious condition especially in the first 3 weeks of the infection. My son splays hockey and he isnt allowed to do AN Y of it due to this fact-- it can take next to nothing to hit that spleen and make it rupture. CAnnot take any chances on that. Our doc told us he is to be in bed resting for 3 weeks period. No other physical activity allowed whatsoever.

I hope this helps someone.  I know it can be scary to deal with such illness with our dear dear children and I for one like information!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page