My 7 year old son is on his 5th day of 104+ temp. His temp started on Thursday, June 28th. He had stomach pain on Thursday, Friday, Sat., and Sunday. On Monday (yesterday), his stomach only hurt when he was eating or drinking. Today (Tuesday), he says it doesn't hurt at all. Yet, he doesn't have much of an appetite. He hasn't been eating much at all, but he is drinking water or occasionally chocolate milk. He refuses juices.
On Sunday night, he started coughing. The cough has continued Monday and today. We went to the doc twice yesterday. Flu test is negative. Doc says throat is not red. Lymph nodes are not swollen. Drainage is clear (yesterday morning) but said it was cloudy yesterday afternoon. My son has asthma, but doc says he's moving air well. Occasionally, he gets mucus in his airways, but when he coughs it clears out. This was enough to warrant an antibiotic prescription yesterday afternoon. He got a finger prick at the doc's office yesterday, which indicated his white blood cell count was in the normal range -- which means it's viral. He has not vomited; though, he gags from time-to-time when he coughs. His cough isn't croupy. It's a fairly dry cough. Motrin does bring down his temp in the 99.something. He's pale but has rosy lips.
He has had pneumonia about 2 years ago which ended him up in the hospital. 2 years ago, 3 separate doctors dismissed pneumonia because they couldn't hear anything. However, the chest x-ray showed the truth. Back then, he was vomiting everything and had rapid breathing (the reason I brought him to the ER).
At this point, I have no reason to doubt that it's viral or anything more serious is going on. But I thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas.
How is your son now? I wish there were more responses to your question. I cam on here because my daughter (almost age 4) is on day 6 of fevers. They have fluctuated all week to times of no fever to fevers of over 104. My 6 year old son was sick too and it lasted 5 days. But now my daughter is on day 6. Hoping she is ALL better soon as we leave for vacation in 2 days!!
Well, he still running a fever. Yesterday, it got up to 103.5 before I could get him Motrin again (we were out at the doc, chest X-ray, and blood work). Today, he has a 99.6 this morning, but I need to wait until noon or so to see if the fever comes back -- that's what happened yesterday. Here's the update what happened at the doc's office:
1. Slightly enlarged spleen.
2. Chest X-ray as read by the nurse practitioner (the one we saw yesterday -- though, I'll just say doc for ease) said it was questionable for pneumonia. So, she sent it to a radiologist to read who said it was normal. It does not give me comfort at all.
3. Sent for blood work. Most of the results are in. His white blood cell count is slightly low 4.3 when the low side of normal is 4.5. This is indicative of a virus according to doc. The quick mono test came back negative, but will wait for the results from the longer test that should be in today.
4. Doc asked for a urine sample to test for CMV. 24 hours turn around time on this -- so we're still waiting.
5. When we went back to the doc to give the urine sample, she listened to his breathing, and she she heard crackles. :-(
We have another appt this morning at 9:45 with my son's normal doc (he's been on vacation). The nurse practitioner has kept saying that she will show all the stuff to the doc first thing in the morning and see what he thought. It sounds to me that she's really doubting the "normal" chest X-ray.
My son continues to have a lack of appetite. He's doing nebulizer treatments 3 times a day at the moment to try to keep his asthma at bay. However, I do hear wheezing with a stethoscope normally before bed.
Yesterday, twice he thought he heard his dad and brother talking (they were not around). Once at home, when he was running a 103.5 temp and resting on the couch. I dismissed this, thinking he was just dosing off. Then, later in the day, we had to go the pharmacy (by this time his Motrin was kicked in, and he was acting normally). We were waiting to drop off a prescription inside the store, and he insisted that he heard his brother. I didn't see any kids around. There was a truck at the drive through, but I couldn't see or hear any kids in it. He hasn't done that since. I'll mention that to the doc this morning when we go.
He just finished his breathing treatment this morning, so I'm going to check him now. Hopefully, your little one gets better soon!!!
Had I been either of you, I would have gone to the ER.
Enlarged spleen? Crackles in the lungs? RED FLAGS.
I wouldn't go on a vacation when my child(ren) had been this sick. NOt only for their comfort and well-being, but for other people.
Hope both kids are feeling better.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doc visit today was okay. While there, DS only had 99.3 temp. However, the first thing they did was check his oxygen level. It was 94%. The doc listened to him but said he couldn't hear anything with all the wheezing and coughing, so he had the nurse set up a breathing treatment up for him. (I had just given him a breathing treatment 2 hours prior). After the breathing treatment, his oxygen was up to 100%. The doc said his chest X-ray yesterday did not show any pneumonia, but his asthma showed. Doc also prescribed another antibiotic -- Zithromax this time which he's supposed to take along with the Augmentin he's already on. The mono test has not yet come back, but the doc said that it will be negative since the quick mono was negative and he's already so far into this illness. He said, they can use it to know if he has had mono before and use it in the future when/if he gets mono-like systems. After we got home, DS was running 102.6 temp. He asked for a breathing treatment (which the doctor also said we needed to do another breathing treatment as soon as we got home). So, I got that ready for him. Gave him Motrin after the breathing treatment. DS still does not want to eat. I got him to eat 2 or 3 potato chips and a Kit-Kat bar. The doc said to get him to drink things with sugar. He drank 2 juice boxes when we got home. So that's good. This is day 9 with a high fever. I'm going nuts. I really don't think there's anything more the doctor(s) could do for him. I just need to keep his asthma under control and keep him hydrated. The doc asked me to call the office on Monday, and let them know how he's doing -- even if he's better. So they can take him off his "worry list". Luckily, the doc office does have weekend hours if we need to go on Sat. or Sun. We like to try to avoid the ER/hospital when possible. DS has been in the hospital 4 times (with anywhere from 2-7 day stays). He remembers them all -- not favorably. Most of his past hospitalizations were because of his asthma. However, the last one 2 years ago was because he had the flu and developed pneumonia -- which his pedi missed twice, urgent card docs missed twice, and ER doc missed until the Chest X-ray came back. Very scary stuff!!!
Will he drink bone broth? It's full of minerlas and great for any illness. I don't know why the doctor would advise sugar. That's the worsthting to consume while sick. It will just lower his immune system further. IF he needs "sugar" why not do some raw honey in some warm tea? Just an idea. I know it's scary to see our little ones not eating but sometimes the body is better off focusing on healing rather then digesting. I would be more concerend about him getting enough fluids If anything. I hope tomorrow shows much more improvement! It's so hard when our children get sick. Let us know how he is tomorrow please!
I just wanted to follow up with how my DS is doing. I took him to his pedi on Sunday (day 11 of fever), and she admitted him directly to the Children's hospital. He was diagnosed with pneumonia and collapsed lungs (which sounds more serious than it actually is in my son's case). He stayed Sunday night in the hospital. He was on IV fluids and antibiotics. He got put on Clydimycin (sp?). He had a rough night on Sunday night, as his oxygen monitor kept beeping -- he was right at the 90% threshold of the monitor. The nurse was in and out re-positioning him in bed. On Monday, around 4pm, the doc gave us a choice to keep him another night in the hospital or take him home. We ultimately decided to take him home. We figured he'd be more comfortable and active at home which would help his lungs rebound. We made it home, and he did okay. He still has some breathing difficulties every now-and-then. His oxygen sometimes goes to 90-91%, but we give a breathing treatment then it's back up to 95% (which still isn't "good", but it's better).
Same here. What a horrible ordeal for your son AND for you! So glad it seems to be getting better.
Certified Crazy™ Wife to my Spiderman husband (Aug '01)
Super proud Momma to DD (Jan'00), DD (Apr '02) and DS (Jun '04)
Always loving and missing our Baby James born sleeping at 19 weeks (July '03).
My 9yr old son is day 6 of fevers. He gets up to 104-105 then down to 99-100 after ibuprofen. We've been to the dox and the ER. He was diagnosed w/ mesenteric adenitis but he doesn't have any stomach pain or nausea which is a common symptom of that. His labs were normal from the ER except his liver enzymes were up a little and went up higher w/ yesterdays blood draw. He's hardly eating and we are trying to get him to drink fluids. I feel so helpless and scared that he's not improving. I feel your frustration. Hang in there!
Mono test will come back negative even if patient DOES have it because it takes a while for the body to make the antibodies [which is what shows up in the bloodtests]. So, my doc told me not to bother to do the monospot test for a few weeks even. So, even though you have a neg. on the mono, I can tell you that from everything you shared, symptoms and signs etc, it definitely sounds like mono to me... my son has it and my sister has it [she is living with us right now, had been for 5 months or so]. They are tired all the time, wont wanna eat much, throw up a lot if they do eat, then get a cough and the cough makes them gag.. Fever really high one day, then only 100 the next. Sore throat one day, not too bad the next. This goes on for a long long long time. Mono takes forever to get over Im sorry to say.
It also can lead to pneumonia, so keep an eye on that.
Also, to the person who mentioned splenomegaly-- that is basically an enlarged spleen. This is oone of the #1 issues from mono-- the spleen enlarges and can actually rupture which is a life threatening situation. Hunched over kid-- might have pain in that area and so moving a certain way might have made it easier to walk. The spleen is high in the abdomen on the left side...
This is a serious condition especially in the first 3 weeks of the infection. My son splays hockey and he isnt allowed to do AN Y of it due to this fact-- it can take next to nothing to hit that spleen and make it rupture. CAnnot take any chances on that. Our doc told us he is to be in bed resting for 3 weeks period. No other physical activity allowed whatsoever.
I hope this helps someone. I know it can be scary to deal with such illness with our dear dear children and I for one like information!
|76 members and 15,791 guests|
|*green*faery* , allirue , AlmostJenny , alsongrande , Alvie , AMG , annbe , Anne Jividen , averysmomma05 , bluefaery , Caledvwlch , Daffodil , Dear_Rosemary , Deborah , emmy526 , floss&ferd , greenemami , happyhats , heatherweh , hillymum , ismewilde , japonica , jeomom3 , jeslynn , katalopolis , katelove , kathymuggle , Kelleybug , kristynwy789 , LiLStar , Linda on the move , LLM21 , mckittre , MDoc , MeepyCat , Mirzam , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , mummabear13 , Mylie , MylittleTiger , Narawen , newmamalizzy , oaksie68 , oceansolitude , pghgranola , Ragana , RollerCoasterMama , Rsmith2 , rubelin , Sam24 , samaxtics , sarafl , shantimama , Shelsi , Shmootzi , siennaflower , skepticalvaxer , Snydley , Springshowers , ssun5 , stellanyc , stellata , stephalittle , Tiffa , Tracy , VocalMinority , witchygrrl , Xerxella , zebra15 , zuleicamoon|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|