figuring out nutritional deficiency - nails and teeth problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Recently I have had 4 extensive cavities identified (1 fixed so far, 1 is a temporary crown, 2 to go) via an xray this year whereas none were found last year, and I've noticed that my nails have gotten very soft as well. I am currently on an SSRI but otherwise am not taking any other meds. I'm worried that these two symptoms are related, and that I need to supplement with something. Does anyone have ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I found this while googling. 

http://www.askdrheimlich.com/blog/vitamin-and-nutrient-deficiencies-caused-by-medications/

Quote:
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs, a type of antidepressant medication, deplete the B vitamins B6, B12 and folic acid. They also deplete vitamin D and sodium. Even if they don’t deplete essential fatty acids directly, we know that anyone who is depressed can benefit as essentials fatty acid have been shown to reduce inflammation.

Might be a place to start!  Can you get the doctor to check all your vitamin and mineral levels?

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List