Prophylactic antibiotics for my 11 mo who came in CLOSE contact with pertussis? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 07-21-2012, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post

I am someone who has done extensive research into this and does not believe there is a black and white answer for whether to get the vaccine AND who has watched her three children including a one year old and a newborn go through pertussis as well as having gone through it myself.
I'd get the antibiotics no question. There is a difference between taking precautions and making an informed decision about refusing the vaccine and knowing your baby was exposed and knowing there is an effective way to prevent them from getting sick which he is much more likely to do than a kid who only has a theoretical chance of being exposed.
Antibiotics are said to be ineffective because by the time you're coughing they are. It doesn't make sense to take antibiotics for cold symptoms which is how pertussis starts. OP you can kill the bacteria before lung damage occurs. Given that my well nourished, healthy, unvaccinated one year old who had the easiest time of the four of us still coughed for months to the point he'd throw up I would do antibiotics in a heartbeat to prevent that no question.

Did you try sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance?

It's taken me some time to be able to come back and respond to this calmly.

Yes. I did. And when one brand wasn't working I tried a second.

The reason it took me so long is because I feel very strongly that people are not being given good information to make informed choices here on MDC by some posters about pertussis. There is a very common theme that pertussis is not that bad and if you do get it just take sodium ascorbate and all will be well.

Pertussis is often misdiagnosed I agree with this wholeheartedly after my own experience. What I don't agree with it that because it's misdiagnosed that equals no big deal.

And I was led to believe (which is very much my own fault too) that SA was highly effective for pertussis. We had four of us with it and it did not help for any of us.

My experience with pertussis was that my one year old had the easiest time, still coughed every day for months and at night he'd do so sometimes until he puked. My four year old was unable to take part in many activities because it aggravated his asthma which would then make the pertussis cough worse. He puked in public from coughing more than once. I coughed so hard I couldn't sleep, couldn't drive because a coughing spell would cause me to be unable to focus on the road. I had to labour WITH pertussis which let me tell you was one of the hardest things I've ever done and consequently got an epidural (which I wasn't planning on, in fact pertussis risked me out of my planned home birth).

Now for my baby. Because pertussis is misdiagnosed long and often I had three different doctors misdiagnose me before labour. And so noone gave me antibiotics that would make me not contagious anymore. And so on the very first day of his life my newborn was exposed to pertussis. My newborn. My 9lbs 5oz apgar 10/10 40 week amazing newborn who was fed exclusively breastmilk.

Until he started coughing. Until he'd turn blue. My second child had persistent apnea for over a year and he'd turn blue. And here I held another beautiful baby who was turning blue in front of my eyes.

People who saw my son said it was the worst thing they'd ever seen. He was choking, drowning, right in front of us and then loooong pause before another breath.

I saw four more doctors. Pressed for a diagnosis. A nurse was the first person to suggest pertussis without me suggesting it and after that I insisted to our ped that I wanted the swab done. This necessitated a hospital admission.

My baby had antibiotics, oxygen therapy for his desaturations. And now almost two years later my perfectly healthy newborn is an amazing beautiful lung damaged 22 month old.

So yes I'm angry. Angry at the medical profession who led me to believe pertussis wasn't a possibility. But also angry at those who minimize pertussis on here. Who overemphasize the success rate of the non mainstream treatment plans. Who give downright dangerous advice about avoiding antibiotics at all cost even before the cough is at its worst and antibiotic therapy is unlikely to lessen symptoms. Even when we are talking about a young child, toddler, or baby (or even newborns in other threads). These kids can't make decisions for themselves and their parents need good information to make decisions for them.

And when you ask a question without any other words it reads as judgment. Like if I'd only done things "right" (ie sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance) my family would have been fine.

I made the best decisions I could with what I knew. Id make different ones in the future and a good chunk of that is on me. But I can't just let it go unsaid having once been on the side of looking for advice here and now sitting where I am now that the information is incomplete. Good luck OP.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 34 Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuitsmom View Post

It's taken me some time to be able to come back and respond to this calmly.
Yes. I did. And when one brand wasn't working I tried a second.
The reason it took me so long is because I feel very strongly that people are not being given good information to make informed choices here on MDC by some posters about pertussis. There is a very common theme that pertussis is not that bad and if you do get it just take sodium ascorbate and all will be well.
Pertussis is often misdiagnosed I agree with this wholeheartedly after my own experience. What I don't agree with it that because it's misdiagnosed that equals no big deal.
And I was led to believe (which is very much my own fault too) that SA was highly effective for pertussis. We had four of us with it and it did not help for any of us.
My experience with pertussis was that my one year old had the easiest time, still coughed every day for months and at night he'd do so sometimes until he puked. My four year old was unable to take part in many activities because it aggravated his asthma which would then make the pertussis cough worse. He puked in public from coughing more than once. I coughed so hard I couldn't sleep, couldn't drive because a coughing spell would cause me to be unable to focus on the road. I had to labour WITH pertussis which let me tell you was one of the hardest things I've ever done and consequently got an epidural (which I wasn't planning on, in fact pertussis risked me out of my planned home birth).
Now for my baby. Because pertussis is misdiagnosed long and often I had three different doctors misdiagnose me before labour. And so noone gave me antibiotics that would make me not contagious anymore. And so on the very first day of his life my newborn was exposed to pertussis. My newborn. My 9lbs 5oz apgar 10/10 40 week amazing newborn who was fed exclusively breastmilk.
Until he started coughing. Until he'd turn blue. My second child had persistent apnea for over a year and he'd turn blue. And here I held another beautiful baby who was turning blue in front of my eyes.
People who saw my son said it was the worst thing they'd ever seen. He was choking, drowning, right in front of us and then loooong pause before another breath.
I saw four more doctors. Pressed for a diagnosis. A nurse was the first person to suggest pertussis without me suggesting it and after that I insisted to our ped that I wanted the swab done. This necessitated a hospital admission.
My baby had antibiotics, oxygen therapy for his desaturations. And now almost two years later my perfectly healthy newborn is an amazing beautiful lung damaged 22 month old.
So yes I'm angry. Angry at the medical profession who led me to believe pertussis wasn't a possibility. But also angry at those who minimize pertussis on here. Who overemphasize the success rate of the non mainstream treatment plans. Who give downright dangerous advice about avoiding antibiotics at all cost even before the cough is at its worst and antibiotic therapy is unlikely to lessen symptoms. Even when we are talking about a young child, toddler, or baby (or even newborns in other threads). These kids can't make decisions for themselves and their parents need good information to make decisions for them.
And when you ask a question without any other words it reads as judgment. Like if I'd only done things "right" (ie sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance) my family would have been fine.
I made the best decisions I could with what I knew. Id make different ones in the future and a good chunk of that is on me. But I can't just let it go unsaid having once been on the side of looking for advice here and now sitting where I am now that the information is incomplete. Good luck OP.

I had an account a million years ago and apparently it got deleted because I couldn't log in. That just to say that I rejoined solely to reply to this. Thank you for your honesty. I hope this is read and taken to heart.

#33 of 34 Old 07-21-2012, 07:39 PM

If my kid was exposed to pertussis and I had even a slim chance of warding it off with abx, you better believe I'd do it in hot minute. Pertussis is no joke. Seriously.

lather, rinse, repeat
#34 of 34 Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Banned

SA to bowel tolerance is pretty destructive to a child's intestinal flora.  I've already said that I would go with the abx in this situation, and the OP's plan of combining abx with probiotics protects both the child's lungs and his gut. 

Triscuitsmom, thanks for sharing your story.  Obviously, a newborn is much more vulnerable than an 11-month-old, but 11 months is still very young and his lungs are still very vulnerable.  No one really benefits from prolonged coughing.

Ma2two had asked for more information about the baby who died of pertussis who was mentioned earlier on the thread.  I'm pretty sure this is it:

http://www.desmondfuneralhome.com/obitu ... ce=message

OP, how is your ds?

Tags
Vaccinations

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page