DD has pneumonia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep. I took her to the ER on Sunday night after two days of high fevers. She had a little cold that started last Sunday, and by Tuesday got horrible. I took her to our ped, and she prescribed a dose of antibiotics (only the second time every dd has had them). She diagnosed her with bronchitis and an ear infection. She seemed to get better throughout the week, but when the antibiotics were gone (Saturday) she got feverish and sick.

So, at the ER they did some blood work and because of her high levels of white blood cells, they confirmed pneumonia with a chest xray. greensad.gif She has had breathing treatments (albutrol, which we are doing at home, thankfully. They wanted to admit her, but my ped talked them out of it) and is on omnicef antibiotic. She seems much better.

So, my question is this: The ER is who prescribed the antibiotic. The recommended dosage is 125 mg (1 tsp) for twenty days. That is a ton, IMO. I asked my ped and she said that she thought it was a mistake, that it should have been for 10 days. My ped is not at all affiliated with the hospital. I called back to the ER to ask how many days I should give it, and the ER doc who prescribed it confirmed the 20 day recommendation.

Also, on a side note, my ped says its about the mildest case of pneumonia it could be.

So, what do you think? 10 days or 20 days? Do it for 10 and wait and see?

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#2 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 09:55 PM

The ER is probably erring on the side of caution. If she was on a 5 day course of antibiotics and actually got worse they may want to make sure they knock it fully out.
#3 of 5 Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Oh, your poor DD! I had pneumonia this winter and it was miserable.

Given that your DD got worse after one round of antibiotics, her current pneumonia is antibiotic-resistent. Otherwise, the prior course of abx would have knocked it out. Effective treatment will require either an extra-long or extra-harsh round of abx. Particularly for a kid, I prefer extra long. (I'm not a doctor though, so take that for what it's worth.)

Pneumonias can be tricky - I personally don't put much store in "only a mild pneumonia" because my experience with those bad boys is that they can get very worse very fast.

My personal inclination is that since SIDS is sometimes related to respiratory difficulties or abnormalities, pneumonia in a child with that family history should inspire conservatism and caution.

Best wishes for your girl's speedy recovery.
#4 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks smile.gif

Do you think it matters that they are two different antibiotics? The ER doc said that the first one prescribed wasnt strong enough to knock out both the chest stuff and the ear infection.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 AM

I'd do the full course. Two reasons.. One being I'd never change the course of an antibiotic, that's just asking for resistant strains and the next step is possibly IV in the hospital. Two being that I've had a kid in the hospital with pneumonia and it's awful. Being in the hospital with a kid is always awful but doing it with a kid who is having respiratory problems is the worst.

I hope your DD feels better soon.

Alison
Mama to Toad (08/06), Frog (01/09)... and new baby Newt born on his due date, Sep. 8, 2010

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page