Spica Cast - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My almost 3 yo son fell this weekend at his bday party while trying to play baseball on the slip and slide. He has a spiral fracture in his femur and is now in a spica cast. Just wondering if anyone else out there has dealt with this - looking for support. TIA!

#2 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering! So sorry to hear of your son's fracture. I've not heard of this particular cast. Anyone else know anything about it? 

#3 of 3 Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

A friend of mine has a not-quite 2 year old in a spica. It does not look like fun! That said, she's crazy creative and they've been doing all sorts of things with him, including creating ramp-like lying seat thing so he can lie on his belly, but have his torso be up high enough that he can play comfortably with toys on the floor. They use a bean bag chair too. They've also used a little platform on wheels (like a mechanic would use under a car sort of idea). After a few weeks though, he's actually standing and almost walking in it, which is apparently very common. 

I have no first-hand experience, but there seems to be a fair bit out there about spicas and keeping kids from dying of boredom while stuck in them. Sorry your kiddo is having this experience!

For greater things are yet to come...

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page