looking for some good probiotics or other supplements for GI issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband has had reflux and other unexplained (one dr said irritable bowl) issues GI issues, and has for years. He is young (32) and a healthy weight. He has to be careful with what he eats and how much, stays away from most starches and often still feels very full and bloated. He often feels nauseated and has a hard time staying asleep at night.

He has finally agreed to try some supplements and probiotics, but I wanted to start looking into which ones are the best and would give the best results. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Proud mom of three!  Special needs teen princess wheelchair.gif , 7 year old happy girl modifiedartist.gif , and my flower toddlerhearts.gif

#2 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When I was having health problems, the Garden of Eden probiotics worked amazingly well for me. They are pricey, so once I got better I tried other brands and I really like the Jarrow brand, the ones without FOS and they have multiple strains including l. bevre (or something like that, lol). So for me, it's been Jarrow for years, and the cheapest place I've found to buy them is www.vitacost.com HTH

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#3 of 3 Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would he be open to any testing? Parasites (my son had b. hominus and d. fragilis and many adults with those bugs have since contacted me) can cause those symptoms and if that's the cause probiotics could make it worse.

Metametrix stool test (insurance covered ours but at a non-network rate) would identify what, if anything, is causing the symptoms. It's a really, really great test. Metametrix may be able to suggest a doctor in your area who uses their laboratory or I know you can do them otherwise if you want that information (but then if you need a prescription treatment you'd need a doctor anyway for some stuff).

Beyond that great probiotics with scientific studies showing their effectiveness including ability to survive digestion to get the colon are Florastor and Culturelle. Klaire labs probiotics are good as well.

Some people do well on SCD diet. I do think many of those people would benefit from testing to know what's living in there causing the issues and if it can be killed.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page