Run down and Canker Sores - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have battled canker sores since I was a teen. But this summer it has been so bad and 2 of my kids keep getting them too often lately also.its like we keep passing them back and forth..right now we all have a cold and dd2 and I have the cankers back.
What would you do in this situation vitamin wise? Food wise? Any home remedies you know of that actually work? This hurts so bad and I can not stand it one more day let alone weeks like it has been lately...
#2 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 04:06 PM

The only thing that ever stopped my canker sores was starting to rinse with Listerine once a day. You could try some of those alcohol free germ killing rinses if you're opposed to alcohol. I have one of those for my son who uses it when he gets canker sores. It's been a cheap solution for me. I used to get lots but now I get none, or at most, I get that tingly irritated sensation for a day, but nothing full blown.
#3 of 5 Old 07-29-2012, 06:21 PM

Are you by any chance sensitive to gluten? Canker sores can be a sign of that. Also, your post title mentions you are run down? Another gluten sign as well. I have recently discovered a ton of health problems tied to gluten (which shocked me) so this post really caught my eye. It is hereditary as well which could explain why your whole family is struggling with it. There are hundreds of symptoms of gluten intolerance and you don't have to have the classic IBS syptoms to have issues. Might be worth looking into. Whatever the cause, I hope you all feel better soon! Canker sores are terrible!
#4 of 5 Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 AM

I just wanted to add my canker sore experience.

I have had them for as long as I can remember.  Maybe age 10?  My Dad had them and he must have passed them to me. They are so painful.  About 12 years ago I was at work with 2 whoppers and a coworker recommended Lysine.  She said she took it for a prolonged period and her sores never returned.  So I tried it.  That was 12 years ago, and I haven't had one since.  I took a large dose for about a month and then maintenance, probably @500mg every other day, for a few months.  Poof, gone.  Multiple sores every year for 15 years, and then after Lysine they never returned.

My DD (8) has had 4 in the past few weeks. She is finally losing teeth and I think the action going on in her mouth must have aggravated something.  About 3 weeks into the outbreak (I wasn't paying attention, oops) I dosed her up on Lysine, and she is now taking 500mg every other day.  The Lysine stopped the sores in their tracks and they healed very quickly.  I am hoping that they will go away for her as well.

Just passing my experience on to other mamas.  I haven't posted on MDC for probably 3 years...  I hope this info is helpful to some.

amyandelle likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Rinsing with warm salt water always helps.  :)

Mommy to DD 5-07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page