Please help. Rash on 8yr old's bottom area. - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Please help. Rash on 8yr old's bottom area.
Louisiana Mama's Avatar Louisiana Mama 12:41 PM 07-26-2012

My 8 yr old daughter complained from discomfort 2 days ago. It was small red bumps and redness around her vulva and has since spread to around her butt (mainly around the crack). Now it's become painful. I have been putting an all natural cream on it (that I bought for my infant in case of diaper rash), and letting her wear a gown to allow some air circulate. 

I don't think it's detergent (we switched a month ago maybe), but just in case I'm washing her panties in our old detergent. She had a sore throat for maybe two days last week... I've heard a rash can be a sign that a virus is present... 

I was at her dr for another appt, and without seeing it she recommended diaper cream and a bath and that it would pass on its own. What are your thoughts?

EarthRootsStarSoul's Avatar EarthRootsStarSoul 11:05 PM 07-26-2012

Sounds like a yeast infection.

ameliabedelia's Avatar ameliabedelia 10:54 AM 07-28-2012

Yes, it sounds like a yeast infection to me as well.  If so, you need to treat it with something anti-fungal (either natural or pharmaceutical).  A diaper rash cream will just make a yeast infection worse, as the yeast will feed off the sugars and substances in the cream.

MountainMamaGC's Avatar MountainMamaGC 02:10 PM 07-28-2012

They sell nystatin cream over the counter. Make sure to use it 3x a day for a week , as even yeast is becoming resistant to treatment now. 

Tags: Health Healing
Up