My brother: Anxiety/Depression, how to help? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My brother's life has always been in turmoil. Mostly since my parents died one year after another when I was 19. I'm 32 now and all of us struggle with it (there are 4 siblings) but I think my brother suffers the most.

He would probably be diagnosed with depression and now, sever anxiety. He just came out of the hospital two days ago with meds which he doesn't want to take (Xanax is habit-forming and I don't blame him) and was told he probably had a stroke (he's only 34!) and would suffer a heart attack (runs in my family-- my father died of this), has high blood pressure, panic attacks that are now causing fainting spells.

What can I do to help? Crisis hotlines aren't working for him-- he hates talking to complete strangers. Should he apply for disability with his sever anxiety? What natural remedies can I suggest, if any? This is the first place I thought of to ask for support because I practically live on this forum. luxlove.gif

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#2 of 3 Old 07-31-2012, 05:45 PM

Oh gosh, that's so much for one family to bear! hug.gif

I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is that he needs at least a PCP to help him start dealing with this. If he's opposed to dealing with strangers (I don't blame him), then he needs to build meaningful relationships with people who can help him. He may need encouragement to stick with it at first; all friends are strangers at first, right? Why was he in the hospital? Chances are they can or did give him referrals to folks he can follow up with. And I totally agree with you that meds are to be avoided whenever possible: but given your brother's history, I really, really wouldn't consider drugs the enemy here. Mental illness can result from years (or decades) of chemical imbalance such that only chemical intervention can help start things back in the right direction again.

Hang in there, and hopefully more knowledgeable people will chime in soon!!!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 3 Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your kind words, Mosaic. I almost think medication would be to his benefit just like you suggest, for sure. But I understand why he doesn't want to take it. It's habit-forming and he says it makes him feel so out of it, he'd never get anything done. I guess it depends on the person. I really think he needs to talk to someone though but all the contacts he's received he decided not to do anything with.

I'm thinking about sending him some remedies to help with anxiety and depression at night especially, when he's having trouble sleeping.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page