Best probiotics to eliminate & prevent Candida? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

I'm having major problems with recurrent/chronic yeast infections over the past 4 months. I feel like tearing my hair out. And no, I'm not pregnant. I want to find a probiotic that will help eliminate the yeast overgrowth and prevent future outbreaks. Or, just a really good probiotic, in general. Any suggestions for good probiotic brands? I tried Jarrow Femdophilis because I read that many women who suffered chronic yeast infections tried this product with success, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

I've already cut out refined sugar. Hasn't done anything yet.

Thanks in advance! :)

#2 of 3 Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 AM

Here are my best remedies:

Stay dry, clean, and use only cotton or nothing on your skin..  Change undies often if you are having lots of discharge...  

Apple cider vinegar: put 1/4 c in a clean glass, add about 1/8 cup warm water and then use to rinse the vulva 2-3 times per day. Also, and I know it sounds strange, take a small size tampon and dip the tip in the mixture, insert and leave for 1-2 hours.  Repeat 2-3 times/day.  It burns at first, but then, nothing and should clear.

Cut out all sugar and white anything.  This is very hard, but worth it.  Keep your grams of sugar per meal to less than 5 like a diabetic.  This is very important for longterm results.  It totally sucks at first but in the summer at least you have lots of fresh veggies around!  Whole grain, lean meats, iced tea without the sugar..  lots of pure water!

Rosemary Gladstar has a great book called "Herbal Healing for Women".  Susun Weed has "Down There", both excellent references for herbal tea blends that can be drunk daily to help balance the system.

Unsweetened cranberry juice, lemon, grapefruit, all acidify the system and help beat down yeast.

I have used vaginal suppositories from the health food store in the first day or two of infection to bring relief.  Check them out.

Goldenseal tincture, 1 dropper twice/day.  Tastes terrible, but helps

GARLIC, eat it, some say put a few cloves in a blender with water and use as a rinse..  {I just eat it}

Monistat or any of those can be effective in beating back the symptoms, but you must follow a regime afterward for a good month to really keep yeast at bay.

Limit sexual activity until you are FULLY healed {no itch, redness or sensitivity for at least a full week}..  This is also hard, but with a caring partner and creativity it can be done.  

Acidophilus, probiotic caps are great.  Get the one that resonates with you and take twice the recommended dose twice a day.  I also love yogurt and eat it every day..  For a yeast infection I eat it 3x/day, plain with a little vanilla mixed in {keep it as low sugar as you can, though even plain yogurt is high in sugar... make an exception of the 5 gram/meal for yogurt, it is so good for you!}

This sounds like a lot, I know!  The most important ones if you want to pick and choose are the DIET, the acidophilus, and the cider vinegar.  I like a good herbal blend, and I am a garlic eater so I use those too.  I very rarely get yeast infections, but I have had a stressful summer and have dealt with this TWICE since June..  So, I feel your pain, here's to hoping we both heal up!

#3 of 3 Old 08-12-2012, 05:40 AM

I am also adding these anti-fungals:
...Candex
Berberine
Oil of oregano
Garlic
Citrus seed extract (e.g., ParaMicrocidin)
Pau d’arco
Isatis tinctoria (indigowoad root)
Undecylenic acid
Caprylic acid

Here's the article that references these: Could yeast be disrupting your digestion?http://www.womenshealthnetwork.com/digestivehealth/candida.aspx joy.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page