Green diarrhea in otherwise normal 6 month old - should I be concerned? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-08-2012, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My so is 6 months old.  For the past 1-2 weeks, he has been having dark green loose stools 3-6 times a day.  These stools coincided with when we started giving him tastes of food (he has not had a significant quantity of foods, just 1-3 bites per day).  He also got his first 2 bottom teeth at 4 1/2 months, so he may be teething as well.

Apart from the strange diapers, he is acting 100% normal - happy and content, sleeping fine, plenty of wet diapers, eating great, a healthy 19 pounds, and no signs of illness.

Normally I would probably call our dr just to be sure everything is ok, but we just moved to a new country in East Africa and we do not yet have a dr that we trust.  If he were very sick, i would bring him in anyway but my intuition is that he is ok because he is acting normally, Therefore, I am concerned about an overreaction and ordering tests and drugs that he doesn't need.

Has anyone had this happen before?  Should i be concerned?  Would you take him to the dr?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

My intuition would be that he is okay too. Introducing foods combined with teething can cause stool changes. It's always good to get an expert opinion but if you can't at the moment or don't feel the need, with no other symptoms I'd think you'd be wise to monitor him for fever, behavior changes, weight loss, and crying that indicates pain. Any of those may indicate some sort of GI issue that would need a health care practitioner visit to check. thumb.gif

#3 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

BREASTFEEDING?

MY CAPLOCK IS STUCK

#4 of 5 Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, he is exclusively breastfed with a few bites of solid food in the past few weeks

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#5 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had almost 2 weeks of  diarrhea (many times it was green!) in my 8 month old a few weeks ago! It stopped the day after his first tooth broke through! His doctor said is was probably just a  virus and to let it run its course, but he had NO other symptoms, so... I'm inclined to think it was teething, he was drooling a ton and had the worst blow outs after napping (swallowing a lot in his sleep?) but I don't know for sure.

I would (an did) run it by the doctor.

ETA: Just realized this post is a little older... I hope it's cleared up by now!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page