39 weeks pregnant, strep and bronchitis in the house - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live with my husband's parents, and I'm just about to have a baby.  FIL developed a cough recently, and got the news today that he has strep throat and bronchitis.  He's on antibiotics, as of today.  I'm scared, and sad.  I don't even know if I should go back to the house in the morning.  We're going away for the weekend, staying with my ex-husband, so I'll at least have that long in a healthy environment.  But what about after that?  Can I risk being around him when he's in that condition?  I know I can't risk having the baby around him.  So when she comes, I pretty much have to go stay somewhere else for a while, right?  Unfortunately, my only option is to go back up to stay with my ex (three hours away) and leave my husband behind, because he has to go to work.  So he's going to miss the first weeks of his child's life because of this.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking.  Just looking for advice, or maybe just some sympathy.  I'm heartbroken.

Feral  transtichel.gif  Loving Wife and Helper to Wuff superhero.gif Mama to Honey Badger nut.gif and Owlet babygirl.gif Homemaker and Polytheist Quaker.      http://umblepiety.blogspot.com

#2 of 3 Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

hug2.gif

Have you talked to your doctor or midwife about the risks and the precautions you can take, considering your situation? Let us know how things are going. stillheart.gif

#3 of 3 Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My understanding is that with strep infections, the person is no longer contagious after 24 hours on antibiotics. Maybe you could check with your care provider to verify that.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page