abdominal muscle soreness 15 months after pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi folks,

I have mild/moderate diastasis recti after 2 pregnancies. Everything I've read says it shouldn't hurt but when I palpate the two main abdominal muscles, they feel sore like they are bruised, and have felt that way since childbirth. I thought for a while it was just one of those postpartum things that no one talks about and it would go away eventually but it's over a year and the soreness is still there. I don't have any hernias or even a large pooch. Does anyone else have this?

Thanks.

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#2 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)

I haven't had it but wanted to bump your post up for input. 

Anyone?

#3 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 PM

I also have these same symptoms, I haven't been diagnosed with diastasis recti however I too have abdominal pain similar to what you've described.  I'm now 4 1/2 months postpartum and have had these pains since my daughter was born.  Initially my OB said they were just simple postpartum contractions that were due to breastfeeding and the hormones that go with that.  I'm no longer breastfeeding due to other complications with my milk supply and yet I'm still occasionally experiencing this pain.  It comes and goes and often is triggered by physical activity which leads me to believe that it is due to weakened muscle wall.  I'm looking into trying a postpartum belly support band to see if this helps but please let me know if you figured out how to fix this or eliminate the pain/discomfort.

#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Kelley, I'm sorry you're also experiencing this but glad to know I'm not alone. I haven't found any answers, and I still feel the soreness and my youngest is almost 2. I haven't tried abdominal exercises yet but it's in my list. Good luck!

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 AM

In the past, using a belly binder has helped me with this. After this baby, I am going to try this one: www.bellefit.com. On their website, they have a article about diastasis recti. I hope it could still be helpful 2 years postpartum, but I don't know. Sorry you are having this!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#6 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally went to a PT and was told that the right side of my pelvis is tilted a little bit toward the back, which is causing my oblique muscle to "shorten" and be painful. I may have always had a slight tilt but pregnancy probably increased the tilt and put more stress on my muscles. The PT seemed confident that this is correctable but I have to go back to learn the exercises. Just wanted to update this here in case Kelly comes back or anyone else experiences the same thing. 

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page