hep C question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Figured this was the best place to post.  DS and I were on a walk with the neighbor kid and her grandma.  He was running and fell.  Got a little scrape.  Nothing too bad and he came back to show us.  The grandma went to check him out before I got there (I was walking with the baby) and she licked her thumb, rubbed the scratch, and assured him it was nothing.  He was fine.  Really.  But it continued to bleed. Not a lot, but more, like a scratch would on a knee.  Here is the thing:  the gma has hep c.  So, I know there is little chance of it spreading through saliva, but Iwas always under the assumption that it was as long as there were not open sores or anything.  Of course gma wasnt licking his wound or anything, but her saliva did touch my childs wound.  she is the primary caretaker of our neighbor kid and gma is wonderful.  I know she was just trying to encourage him to get back to running and not worry about a ittle scrape, but now I am sort of freaking.  DH says not to worry - or google - but I did.  Basically, the reputable sources say transmission through saliva is minimal unless one or both parties have gum disease.  But, those sources also say not to share nail clippers, etc.  So, sorta worried here.  Any thoughts...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We cared for a hep C foster child and the advice we were given by the infectious disease doctor was that they couldn't share toothbrushes, but this was about bleeding gums--not saliva.  We were told that they shouldn't share cups for the same reason.  They never said much about saliva but maybe someone here has something more definitive.  I know they told us that losing teeth was by far the most annoying thing to work around.  We didn't have that child in our care long enough to experience that.

Hope someone else has more to add!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page