Pertussis/Whooping Cough Experiences? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are in the thick of whooping cough in our family.  All 12 children have it/have had it recently, in varying degrees.  The oldest seem to be getting over it and the youngest,  who have it more severe,  are in the thick of it now.    It started with a mild cold,  whooping cough never crossed my mind until the cold subsided,  and after a few days of rest,  the cough set in.  Over last weekend it became apparent,  with the horrible coughing fits.  Some of the children whoop,  some don't.  We began mega dosing with sodium ascorbate last Saturday.   The youngest is only 9 weeks old.   She was not showing any symptoms last weekend besides a bit of a sniffle.  I took her to the ped on Monday and she just finished up a 5 day round of abx yesterday.  (I have no regrets with the abx. out of 12 children over 17 years,  this is only the 3rd time I've ever used antibiotics!)  The ped was really laid back about it,  saying "she's not going to die from it,  even if she doesn't take the antibiotics."  He was not too keen on the SA,  so we didn't discuss that much.

So,  she has been on SA for over a week now,  and a round of abx.  Her cough as gotten progressively worse over the week. Not too bad,  and until last night,  it wasn't what I would call 'whooping cough episodes'.  Now her cough resembles the wc more.  I'm praying it doesn't esscalate like the other children did.  We are using SA every day, three to four times a day until bowel tolerance. 

Anyone care to share their experience with whooping cough in their young baby?  What should I look out for?   How do I determine when/if I need to take her in?  She is exclusively breastfed,  and all children are unvaxed.  Thanks for any info you have to offer.  (I did read back threads here.)  Thanks!

~Lisa,  wife of my beloved for 19 years hug.gif,  mama to 12 childrenjumpers.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gif and one on the way 1sttri.gif 

Homebirther, Homeschooler, Homesteader ~There's No Place Like HOME!~

#2 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Sorry you are going through this with all your 12, yikes! My only experience is a very mild case in two of my kids when they were 8 and 6. I do know that you should never let the baby cough lying down on her back, otherwise it is very difficult clear the mucus. I would always hold her upright during a coughing fit. I can't tell you when to take her in as we all have different comfort levels, I guess you have to go with your heart on this one.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  She is maintaining the same 'level' of cough today as she did yesterday.  It is my hope the between the SA and the early abx that she only has a very mild case. 

~Lisa,  wife of my beloved for 19 years hug.gif,  mama to 12 childrenjumpers.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gifjumpers.gif and one on the way 1sttri.gif 

#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping this up to see if anyone else has experience with a wee one and wc?  Last night was rough,  between the two year old and the 10 week old.  Baby has a nasty cough,  but nothing we can't deal with.  I am wondering what to expect though.  Since we started both the SA and the abx before a cough developed - I'm hoping that is keeping it from becoming severe?  Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

#5 of 5 Old 08-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Here is a new article by Suzanne Humphries MD on Treating Infants With Whooping Cough. Here are some quotes from the article:

Quote:

Feeding a breastfed baby with whooping cough is a two-step process with two people.

1) Milk triggers cough, deal with the baby, and let down.
2) Latch again, and the second time, the milk will not trigger the cough, because the mucus has been got up.

Occasionally the feed doesn’t trigger a cough, but after the feed, the cough will start, and then there will be not just mucus but a vomit as well.

And

Quote:
It’s better for babies in the coughing stage to “sleep” on someone’s/mother’s chest at a 45 degree angle in a lazy-boy, and to keep movement going. That way the baby won’t sleep so heavily, and the movement will trigger coughing sooner, so the amount won’t be so large, and it should be easier to manage. The adults may need to work in shifts so that everyone gets some sleep, and the baby is managed all the time. The baby will eventually have to be “weaned” off the motion of rocking to sleep, and that may take a month.

I hope you LO is doing well.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page