EWW! Dead mouse, baby found it first - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I am soooo horrified. Stupid cats killed a mouse and brought it inside last night, and the baby (9m) found it first. And yes, he did what babies do when they find things on the floor. he didn't have it long. He was playing in the living room and crawled off to the kids room, which is where he found it. I went after him and he pulled it out of his mouth right then. Are there any immediate health concerns I need to worry about? (let's just say the poor thing didn't die of internal injuries. It wasn't pretty) rabies comes to mind but I don't know how likely that is that the mouse was infected, or if it can be contracted orally?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 5 Old 08-18-2012, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XP

Sorry. I personally, wouldn't be too worried about it. It was a fresh kill. It's just like any other animal. If you'd let your LO touch a hamster or a bunny, think of it that way. But yeah, ick.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#3 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Weird, I didn't get a notification of the reply. But yeah, you do have sort of a point. It was "fresh". we love animals and petting zoos, and he's gotten a mouthful of kitten fur many times! The real "ick" is.. this was not an "intact" mouse!! I wouldn't be thrilled about letting him put raw meat in his mouth :/ I briefly googled for diseases that could be spread from rodents to humans, ended up on a CDC site, but within a minute or 2 left because that was only going to freak me out! 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 AM

OMG ugh!! I think I'd call the doctor just to make sure, and watch for diahrrea. When he is dating you can use this story :)

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#5 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM

i would put the mouse in the freezer, just in case you need it for some type of testing, and i would call the local health officials and ask them, they might n=know anything that is particular to your area.

other than that i would take a long deep breath and know that most of the time humans are really strong creatures and we can get thru most things just fine.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page