Arthritis at 24? Pain since 19? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My midwife thinks I have arthritis in my hips. I have had sometimes debilitating hip pain for at least 5 years. I am in pain 24 hours a day. In the mornings I can barely put weight on my right hip at all. I have a limp. Add the fatigue and some other issues and its hard to deny. I'm kind of devastated..does that mean I'm doomed to worsening pain for the next 50 years? Can they do anything?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There are a lot of things that can cause arthritis.  And honestly, it shows up on an x-ray--so they don't really have to guess about this.  There's also a "test" they do where they lay you down, extend one leg straight, then try to make a number 4 using the other leg (foot on the knee of the extended leg and lay that bent leg down flat).  I honestly don't recall how they read it, but despite my hip pain that had me walking kind of hunched--they determined that I did not, in fact, have arthritis without an x-ray.

But I was in agony.

It was food-related.  :/

So, look into when it worsens.  You might want to try a rotation diet if you're not pro-cutting-stuff-out.  Gluten, dairy, nightshades... these are prime culprits; but each body is different.  Keeping a detailed log would help you on that endeavor.  If you need one, pm me and I can send what I give my clients.

I have also met at least 4 people (2 with rheumatoid arthritis, 1 with lupus and a fourth with some other debilitating, chronic disorder that's escaping me now) that have put it in remission going on a raw foods diet.

I'm thinking someone else will jump in here with way more info for you, but this should get you started and give you some hope!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Unfortunately can't get an xray for another 9-12 months. Can my chiropractor diagnose?

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There are a lot more options out there for arthritis. BTW there are over 200 different types. Not all arthritis shows up in xrays. You need to see a rheumotologist. Being able to halt the prgression of this disease in its tracks is very real pissibility. According to research 11% of people will go into spontaneous remission meaning there is no known cause. According to some European studies only 4% of the population will go into remission because of diet. I know this because I have arthritis as well as 4 of my kids. I am also Western Washington's ambassador for the arthritis foundation. People use different means to treat. We do medications with biologics along with diet.

Heidi
#5 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM

The only person who can truly diagnose arthritis is a rheumitoligist and they do not do xrays to start.

Heidi
#6 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 PM

My son and daughter were diagnosed through blood test then by exam. 3 of us were done exam then blood work. One son the did not do xrays for almost a year.

Heidi
#7 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

Not all arthritis shows up in xrays. 

Thanks for that.  I suspected this but I don't really come across it often enough to dig.  They told me that my x-ray was clear and I still had pain so "it must not be arthritis".  In my own case, it did (thankfully) turn out to be food related (and I say "thankfully" because in the absence of support from my doctors, it was the quickest and easiest thing for me to try  eyesroll.gif ).

I knew there were a lot, but I had no idea there were 200.  Last year I learned about psoriatic arthritis.  Yikes.  My mom has rheumatoid.  Is there a good resource for learning about all of the types of arthritis?  

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#8 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Hi! I have osteoarthritis in my hips, which I really began to notice early in my thirties. There are over 100 different kinds of arthritis. Arthritis is a very general term used to refer to any kind of disease affecting joints. Osteoarthritis may be the only kind that can be picked up via x-ray because you can notice the thinned space between bones, which means the cartilage is thinning. Even still, once I got that diagnosis via x-rays, my orthopedic surgeon requested MRI's to assess any further problems. MRIs, I believe is able to examine soft tissues and detect inflamation.

Rheumatoid arthritis is the second most common type of arthritis (after osteo-) and often first appears when people are in their early 20s.

As a pp said, you need to get in to see a rheumatologist ASAP, but I know it's hard to get in to see one where I live so it may take a while. As long as it's not osteoarthritis, it will not necessarily get worse over time. I took a six-week "How to manage arthritis in your 20s, 30s, 40s" workshop with people with various kinds of arthritis. Many of them said their doctors dismissed their complaints as psychological because there was no obvious reason for the pain. But, they said that once they got the diagnosis and learned to manage the pain and the disease it got better (as in more manageable). 

ETA - go with Mum4boys' stats, I think they are more reliable than my off-the-cuff stats :)

#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page