What is ADHD - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 126 Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisw View Post

Well we DID know 50 years ago. Kids were almost NEVER given toxic drugs on a chronic basis.

Oh really?

http://digitalcommons.uconn.edu/dissertations/AAI8604927/

#92 of 126 Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I would like to say that I am not judging or saying that ADHD doesn't exist. I *am* concerned that it is ...
1. Being over used, and *sometimes* used by those who do not want the challenge of dealing with a gifted or high needs child.
2. Being diagnosed younger and younger, to a point where accurate diagnosis is unlikely. Currently 6, 5, 4, and now 3 year olds are being evaluated for ADHD. I think that's wrong. How can a prediction be made at such a young age concerning whether or not the symptoms are debilitating? I am concerned. We do noy know the long term impacts of those medications on the developing brain. Even if they end up needing the meds as adults, there is no way to be sure if the meds are needed because of the exposure during development. No way to know if that's *not* the reason, either. I just feel that we should be proceeding with caution, and I am alarmed by how frequently parents and teachers want to 'jump on the problem' instead of allowing a little time to see if maturity is what's really needed.

I think medication is overused, and I think the very real dangers of ADHD drugs are often glossed over. But that still does not mean that it is NEVER an appropriate treatment choice.

#93 of 126 Old 10-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

I think medication is overused, and I think the very real dangers of ADHD drugs are often glossed over. But that still does not mean that it is NEVER an appropriate treatment choice.

How do you feel about diagnosing young children? What age do you feel is too young?
#94 of 126 Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM

My daughter started showing signs of differing attention ability when she took her first dance class, a preschool class for kids 2-4, at age 3 1/2. She was definitely not the youngest in the class, but the only kid that had a harder time with paying attention in that class was a 2 year-old still in diapers. She still had a blast, and the teacher totally adjusted for her, so it wasn't a really a -problem-, just a difference.

I did not pursue a diagnosis at that time. I waited until this year, because this is the first year that I am going to need to advocate for a disability accommodation for her. She just hit second grade, so even though she is enrolled in an unschooling-friendly homeschool charter, this year she is expected to participate in standardized testing, and I need to arrange for extra time and a private setting for that. 

The thing is, when a child is evaluated for ADHD, the child is not being compared to an adult or an older child, they are being compared to what is developmentally normal for that child's age. I think you can spot these differences early, but I question why someone would be involving their kids in something that would require medication to succeed at  when the kid is only 3 years old.

When I was a kid, I was told that I 'needed to be on medication for a while' and that 'one day I would wake up and not have ADHD anymore.'  I'm almost 39, and I'm still waiting to 'outgrow' it. I wonder, pek64, what is your stake in this? Do you have, care for, or know a child or adult with ADHD?

#95 of 126 Old 10-11-2012, 02:53 AM

We homeschool, partly so I could avoid my son being diagnosed with ADHD
I never had him evaluated for it, buy was told by a couple of teachers and a parent, whose son was diagnosed, we knew that he would definately have gotten thr diagnosis. He's now 16, and has developed his own coping techniques. He also shows signs of being able to handle a college classroom, if that's what he wants to do. I just wonder how many kids can do the same, if they are not forced to sit still in grade school.
#96 of 126 Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM

See, I don't understand why avoiding a diagnosis is desirable. Without a documented diagnosis, I would have been unable to get a dispensation from disabled student services in college, to allow me to work on an embroidery project in a lecture class, even though the professor objected (embroidery and crocheting are two of the tricks I use to keep my mind from wandering when I need to focus on auditory input. I got that idea from a fantasy novel I read when I was a teenager, and it works VERY well). I also would not have had the option to take exams in the testing center, and clock out for a break mid-exam. Without a diagnosis, I would not have had access to the 8 years of speech therapy that allow me to follow a conversation, and communicate clearly when I speak (Before speech therapy, I had a tendency to lose track of my subject mid-sentence and wander off onto unrelated tangents, sort of like someone who is exhausted, or really drunk. They were really INTERESTING tangents, but not conducive to getting my point across. Now I only do this when I am very tired or emotional).

Knowing I have ADHD gives me access to information about things that might be challenges for me, things that I haven't encountered before, that I might not realize are affected by impulse control and concentration. It gives me time to figure out that something is going to cause a problem and how I am going to work around it.

If you declined to have your son evaluated for ADHD, how do you KNOW that he would have been diagnosed? A recommendation for evaluation does not equal a diagnosis, nor does diagnosis equal drugs.

#97 of 126 Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM

If a need arises, a diagnosis can still be obtained. It's not like after a certain age one can't go to doctors anymore. So far, there has been no need.
#98 of 126 Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)

Another article on the link between mercury and ADHD:

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1377487

Fwiw, mercury is found in some flu shots used on adult pregnant women.  In my opinion, it is more prudent to ask for a shot that does not contain mercury  if you choose to get vaccinated for the flu while pregnant.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#99 of 126 Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM

See, where you say this:
Quote:

We homeschool, partly so I could avoid my son being diagnosed with ADHD.
it seems a logical inference that an ADHD diagnosis is something that you would go to a rather significant amount of trouble to avoid. That's what I'm having trouble understanding. The 'ADHD label' does not change who a child is. It does not mean that they must have drugs. It offers insight and an explanation for a number of differences and problems that the person with ADHD has.
cyclamen likes this.
#100 of 126 Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip View Post

The 'ADHD label' does not change who a child is. It does not mean that they must have drugs.

Often sadly it does mean a LOT of pressure to take drugs. Clearly a A brain "rewired" from conception.or A high spirited or "disruptive" child should IMO NEVER be put on toxic drugs.

"A new study reveals that healthy kids who take Ritalin have a whopping 500 percent greater risk of sudden death. These aren’t kids with pre-existing heart conditions. The results would have been worse if they were included. The same study that found Ritalin stunts kids’ growth also found that it has no beneficial effect on behavior over a three-year period.”    Doctor Al Sears MD, Note most schools receive about 1000 dollars/year for each student they can snare into the drug program

"Omega 3 fats DHA and EPA are essential for brain function. In fact 60 percent of the brain consists of DHA. A lack of t these fats is strongly associated with ADHD as well as eczema and immune deficiency." Doctor Mark Hyman MD

“Several studies have found that most children with ADHD have deficiencies of certain minerals that are commonly depleted by exposure to toxic metals, such as magnesium and zinc, and most show significant improvement after supplementation with these minerals. Magnesium is the most common significant mineral deficiency among ADHD children, but zinc is commonly deficient among children with ADHD and disruptive behavior disorder.”  Bernard Windham

“About 81% of the children in the US are believed to be not getting the RDI of zinc!” CDC

“Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children. Goldman J et al

“Children on low-fat diets suffer from growth problems, failure to thrive & learning disabilities.” Food Chem News 10/3/94

“In an analysis of over 160 studies the omega 3 EFAs DHA and EPA along with ALA and folic acid emerged as significant dietary  compounds to enhance learning and memory and prevent mental disorders.” Life Extension

"Partially digested dairy and wheat particles are found in the urine of severely depressed patients as well as children with autism and ADHD." Doctor Mark Hyman

"Children were 2.5 times more likely to have attention problems that were “clinically significant” if their mothers were among those highest exposed to phthalates, the study found. The types of behavior that increased are found in children with Attention deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and other so-called disruptive behavior disorders."   Chemical Exposure Linked to Attention Deficit Disorder in Children

"My approach is simple the first step is to take out the bad stuff irritating you; the second step is to add the good stuff you need to thrive." Doctor Mark Hyman MD

“Thousands of children put on psychiatric drugs are simply smart. These students are bored to tears, and people who are bored fidget, wiggle, scratch, stretch, and (especially if they are boys) start looking for ways to get into trouble.” Dr. Sydney Walker, author of The Hyperactivity Hoax

“Child psychiatrists are one of the most dangerous enemies not only of children but also of adults. They must be abolished.”  Doctor Thomas Szasz Professor of Psychiatry

“I practiced neurology and psychiatry for 30 years, but found to my chagrin that it was largely a huge fraud, despite the fact that most of the doctors I met had the best intentions. They were simply brain-washed.” Doctor Alan Greenberg

#101 of 126 Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 PM

It is true that a diagnosis does not change the child. It does, however, often change how others *view* the child. In my situation, I felt it was important to prevent a diagnosis. I prefer not to discuss details, so please do not ask.
#102 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

"There is a frightening new trend in the medical community: prescribing psychoactive stimulant medication to children from low-income families to boost their academic performance.To be more clear, doctors are actually prescribing ADHD drugs to students who are academically struggling. Here’s the kicker: the kids don’t have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)."

http://www.activistpost.com/2012/10/adhd-drugs-prescribed-to-all.html

So now we see the ADHD scam expanded to include those without ADHD.

Where will this drugging insanity end?

Only we can end it by refusing all toxic drugs.

Mirzam likes this.
#103 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

It is true that a diagnosis does not change the child.

The toxic drugs often more or less "mandated" by an ADHD diagnosis sure can change a child; mostly for the worse.

#104 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
Fwiw, mercury is found in some flu shots used on adult pregnant women.  In my opinion, it is more prudent to ask for a shot that does not contain mercury  if you choose to get vaccinated for the flu while pregnant.

The "seasonal flu vaccination" has proven to be totally WORTHLESS at preventing or mitigating the flu. You are taking all the risk for no reward.

If you but take a little time the following will be demonstrated.

• The CDC has CONTINUOUSLY overstated the mortality of seasonal influenza often by over 100 fold. They are NOW saying they have no idea how many die from the seasonal flu. We know it is less than 700/year for MOST years, perhaps MUCH less if based on serological results. Honest figures from the UK imply about 300/year die in the USA from nfluenza                                                                                               

Deaths Due to Respiratory Causes in the UK, 2009 Cause of Death

Total Deaths

% of Total

Pneumonia

Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease (mainly bronchitis)

Other

Influenza

Total

Source: UK Office of National Statistics

• The CDC has presented a model of the seasonal flu that it totally at odds with the evidence. The CDC is pretending they do not know what is causing the flu. They KNOW. At all levels the "Seasonal Flu" information given us by HHS is egregiously incorrect.

• 86% of the time during "flu season" when you come down with "flu symptoms" it is NOT from the influenza A or B virus but by some other virus.

• The "flu vaccine" only sometimes, in theory, "protects" against influenza A and B viruses. Thus even in theory the "flu vaccine" cannot "protect" you from 86% of flu episodes.

• Honest examination of "flu vaccine" testing has found the "seasonal flu vaccine" to be completely and  totally WORTHLESS when corrected for testing biases. Honest independent testing shows "benefits" negative or too low to measure with any confidence

• The "seasonal flu" and more importantly all viral flu is caused primarily by the seasonal low in our vitamin D levels. Thus the "cure" for seasonal flu and all viral flu is sunshine and vitamin D.

• Almost all forms of the "flu vaccination" contain the extremely neurodegenerative mercury most often 25 mcg. All forms include the exceedingly toxic IMO "H1N1 vaccine"

#105 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:

It is true that a diagnosis does not change the child. It does, however, often change how others *view* the child. In my situation, I felt it was important to prevent a diagnosis. I prefer not to discuss details, so please do not ask.

I totally respect your decision. I actually regret having my eldest evaluated (only by the school) for ADD. It turned out that they didn't give her the label which I am happy about. She did/does have some difficulties focusing but has learned techniques that help her function in the world (she's now 22). She certainly never needed or needs to be medicated.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#106 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM

Ritalin has also been given to leukemia patients to make it so they will tolerate higher chemo doses.

Edited for typo.
#107 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:

The toxic drugs often more or less "mandated" by an ADHD diagnosis sure can change a child; mostly for the worse.

"Mandated?"

Seriously?

Because that sure wasn't my experience, either personally, where exhaustive eliminative diagnostics, and numerous occupational therapy and diet and lifestyle adjustments were tried before, about 18 months later, a decision was made to medicate.

And my daughter's pediatrician and neuropsych doctor did not even suggest meds for her. Her pediatrician, when I asked for the neuropsych referral, did bring up drugs, but only to remind me of the risks of using them (not really necessary, I was never looking to medicate, just hoping to qualify for disabled student services).

This isn't freaking Yahoo or BabyCenter, folks. I don't think that any parent that frequents these boards is the type to blindly decide to medicate their kid without carefully weighing the risks versus the benefits.
journeymom likes this.
#108 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 10:41 AM

i personally have a difficult son and surely if i took him in a dr would be clammering to give him an adhd dx. if we sent him to school here they would be pushing that we medicate him but there is no way that's going to happen.  if he needs meds when he's an adult then he can make that choice for himself but i dont know what kind of damage those meds could cause to his brain. 

Mirzam and kathymuggle like this.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#109 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:

Since ADHD is a syndrome and not a medically diagnosable condition we have absolutely no way to know what organic cause if any is present when someone is LABELED ADHD.

i agree with this.  there is no way to really DX ADHD.  it's 100%  "DX" at the discretion of the dr and what their opinion is.  "oh you do this this and this?  well you must have ADHD then" 

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#110 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 AM

I am glad your experiences were good. Not all are. Some schools and doctors have reputations for pushing hard for medicating. Just like the vaccination stories, where doctors try every intimidation possible, there are ADHD medication intimidation stories. And before anyone simply shrugs it off, if you have not walked in the other person's shoes, don't judge.
#111 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 PM

I am not saying that pressure never happens. I am certainly not saying that medication is even USUALLY appropriate. But to say that it is mandated? That is just absurd. And to say that it is never ever appropriate is the kind of absolute language that is just ridiculous.
#112 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM

Perhaps 'mandated' is an exaggeration, but not 'absurd'.

I wonder what year(s) your diagnosis experiences occurred. Maybe that has something to do with what you experienced.

Also, I've never said you don't have ADHD or shouldn't be medicated.

You, and others here, are doing marvelous jobs of demonstrating the push for diagnosing that occurs in some schools.
#113 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM

#114 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Quote:

I am glad your experiences were good. Not all are. Some schools and doctors have reputations for pushing hard for medicating. Just like the vaccination stories, where doctors try every intimidation possible, there are ADHD medication intimidation stories. And before anyone simply shrugs it off, if you have not walked in the other person's shoes, don't judge.

My DD's 4th grade teacher was pushing for us to medicate DD. She even expressed that opinion in one of DD's evaluation meetings. The other attendees were squirming in their seats. We flat out refused to consider medication.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#115 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post

i agree with this.  there is no way to really DX ADHD.

Since we  have demonstrated that "ADHD" can be one of at least three different organic things. How in heavens name can a school nurse dx it.

If anyone is to figure out ADHD it is the parents of the child they KNOW AND LOVE so well. I am sure we know the Medical Industry loves NO ONE.

#116 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

Perhaps 'mandated' is an exaggeration, but not 'absurd'.

My goodness just look around. Forced drugging is growing stronger by the day. Want to send your child to school VACCINATE; want to keep your job VACCINATE; want to stay in medicine VACCINATE. Want to get an "exemption" go see a doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEq95DyPMjI

AIDS certainly exists and is killing people just as it was designed to do.

There are so many deadly scams involving "testing" "DX" and "Medication" it would blow  your mind. My advice is to NOT get tested. This is because a "test" can quickly lead to a "DX" and a "DX" to more or less forced "Medication".

Right now if you have been "tested" for HIV and are found positive you will soon be FORCED to take drugs that will shorten and make miserable your life. HIV does not IMO cause AIDS.

#117 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:

My goodness just look around. Forced drugging is growing stronger by the day. Want to send your child to school VACCINATE; want to keep your job VACCINATE; want to stay in medicine VACCINATE. Want to get an "exemption" go see a doctor.

There are so many deadly scams involving "testing" "DX" and "Medication" it would blow  your mind. My advice is to NOT get tested. This is because a "test" can quickly lead to a "DX" and a "DX" to more or less forced "Medication".

Right now if you have been "tested" for HIV and are found positive you will soon be FORCED to take drugs that will shorten and make miserable your life. HIV does not cause AIDS.

Ah. Good old AIDS denialism rears its ugly head yet again.
#118 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

Ah. Good old AIDS denialism rears its ugly head yet again.

Please show me ONE scientific paper where it is DEMONSTRATED that HIV causes AIDS. HIV = AIDS is a MYTH sold to us by the CDC and a man who had a PRIME role in the creation of AIDS Doctor Gallo.

Of course I do not deny AIDS exists. I deny HIV causes AIDS because there is NO Proof or even a decent demonstration of facts to support this myth.

#119 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

Please show me ONE scientific paper where it is DEMONSTRATED that HIV causes AIDS. HIV = AIDS is a MYTH sold to us by the CDC and a man who had a PRIME role in the creation of AIDS Doctor Gallo.

This just keeps getting better and better.

So, who created AIDS? The Rockefellers? Rothschilds? Illuminati? And why did they create it? To what end?
#120 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

So, who created AIDS?

“There are two things about the biological agent field I would like to mention. One is the possibility of technological surprise. Molecular biology is a field that is advancing very rapidly, and eminent biologists believe that within a period of 5 to 10 years it would be possible to produce a synthetic biological agent, an agent that does not naturally exist and for which no natural immunity could have been acquired.” Dr. Donald MacArthur U.S. Military biowar research to Congressmen monitoring US biological weapons development June 9 1969, Note that agent is weaponized mycoplasma

“Mycoplasma is the co-factor that alters the human immune system and opens the door for the autoimmune degenerative diseases such as AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, Bi-Polar Disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, Chronic Fatigue/ Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Diabetes Type One, Fibromyalgia, Huntington’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease.” Doctor Harold Clark

"According to Dr Shyh-Ching Lo, senior researcher at The Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and one of America’s top mycoplasma researchers, this disease agent causes many illnesses including AIDS, cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome, Crohn’s colitis, Type I diabetes, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Wegener’s disease and collagen-vascular diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and Alzheimer’s. I have all the official documents to prove that mycoplasma is the disease agent in chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia as well as in AIDS, multiple sclerosis and many other illnesses."  Donald W. Scott MA

"1984 CDC acknowledges that 60% of those receiving the hepatitis vaccine are HIV +."   CDC, Note this is certainly proof something is VERY WRONG

May 1987 The Times of London reported on its front page that smallpox vaccine administered by the World Health organization had triggered HIV/AIDS. 100 Million vaccinated Africans are at risk. Areas with highest vaccination rate show highest HIV/AIDS rates. Robert Gallo, discoverer of the HIV/AIDS virus, defends those figures and says, "AIDS researchers will keep their mouths shut because they are paid to do so."

1992 Lancet, Journal of the British Medical Association, reports (3/7/92) that the oral polio vaccine used in the mid 1970's to treat recurrent herpes was contaminated with a number of potentially dangerous retroviruses, and may have seeded HIV among Americans'.

"There is no question that HIV was introduced into the U.S. male homosexual population via the gay hepatitis B vaccine experiment that took place between 1978 and 1981. My research clearly supports the outbreak of AIDS cases in Los Angeles and San Francisco shortly after the experiment began in those cities. Not surprisingly, the government has refused to release data on the number of AIDS deaths that have occurred in the large group of gay men who initially volunteered for the vaccine experiment."  Dr Alan Cantwell

“Numerous doctors have started treating their AIDS patients with either increased amounts of supplemental selenium or the four basic components of glutathione, selenium, glutamine, cysteine and tryptophan, with remarkable results.”   Doctor David Williams

“HIV is a harmless passenger virus that has lived in people for centuries.”            Doctor Peter Duesberg PhD

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page