What is ADHD - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

This just keeps getting better and better.
So, who created AIDS? The Rockefellers? Rothschilds? Illuminati? And why did they create it? To what end?

Lord Voldemort?
journeymom likes this.
#122 of 126 Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Lord Voldemort?

ROFL
#123 of 126 Old 10-14-2012, 03:53 AM

I think the atmosphere surrounding ADHD changed between 1983 and the late 90's, when I was first making my decision to homeschool. There was an attitude of diagnosing any child who was a challenge for the teacher, and a push for medicating, so the school would have an easier time. It was an attitude I dislike. Besides, I had other reasons for choosing homeschooling, as well.
#124 of 126 Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I think the atmosphere surrounding ADHD changed between 1983 and the late 90's, when I was first making my decision to homeschool. There was an attitude of diagnosing any child who was a challenge for the teacher, and a push for medicating, so the school would have an easier time. It was an attitude I dislike. Besides, I had other reasons for choosing homeschooling, as well.

oh and they are still doing it.  my friend put her kid in kindy and they practically made it out like he wouldnt be allowed at school without meds.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#125 of 126 Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)

Well, I will share my story/decision around ADHD and my son.

My son is 16.  He was home-schooled until last year -so 15.   

I knew from fairly early on that he was "spacey".  We lovingly referred to him as a space cadet.  

I did not seek a diagnosis as he was HSed.  He was Hsed for a variety of reasons - but yeah, one of them was his suspected ADHD.  I did not like what I saw of the schools handling of ADHD.  Almost every child I know with ADHD (and I know a good number - I work in a library and am fairly active in my community) is on ADHD medication.  Those very few who do not medicate  are under a fair amount of pressure from the school system to medicate their child.  As these children enter high school, they are streamed into lower level classes.  Schools in this area have a 90% graduation goal - to achieve that, they put any child with any issues in classes they know they can pass.  I cannot think of one child in academic classes with an official ADHD diagnosis.  Not one.  My son, who is not diagnosed with ADHD, is in academic classes.  Go figure.  He does struggle a bit - particularly with the organisational end of classes, but not with content. We are working on it.  The school does help as well.  

So….DS does know he is ADHDish.  It is right - and let's face it, people know they cannot focus or organise as well as others.  We definitely talk about strengths more than limitations in regards to ADHD, but we sure as hell do not deny or brush issues under the rug.  We try to find and utilize tools for ADHD - which is easier said than done as spaciness interferes with intent, sometimes.

In any event, I am occasionally jealous of MDC'ers who have wonderful schools who help children greatly with their ADHD.  We have to remember that is not always the case, though.  Every area is different.  In my area the stats I see seem to point to thinking carefully about disclosing ADHD status to the school.  You will be pressured to medicate and your child will be streamed into lower level classes.  Maybe you can avoid this, but you would have to fight, fight, fight.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#126 of 126 Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Yeah, when I was a kid, I saw a very different picture. When I was in school, no one had ever even HEARD of ADHD. There were 2 other kids  in my class, one who know knows he has ADHD, and one that I am willing to bet did, but were simply labeled 'lazy, willful, troublemaker' and perhaps, worst, just 'bad kids.' And oh boy nellie, did they live up to those labels.

Meds can be very bad. They are overused, and sometimes misused. They carry very real risks and ill effects, that are usually glossed over. And, oh, our public school system sort of sucks.

My best friend often refers to the science fiction/fantasy fandom community as the world's largest ADHD support group, and frankly, he's not wrong. I learn a lot from talking to other people with the same challenges I have.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page