Preparing for cold and flu season. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

What do you do in your home to prepare for cold and flu season? 

I ordered vitamin D, Chewable vitamin C with echinacea, Childrens Sambucol, and probiotics. We eat fairly healthy, but I noticed my DD had a lot of colds during her first year of preschool. She takes a multivitamin and a chewable cod liver oil capsule daily all year long. I plan to give her vitamin D and probiotics daily, but just use the vitamin C and sambucol when she seems to be coming down with something. 

Since the season is coming upon us soon, I thought I would ask what everyone does.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#2 of 4 Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Extra Vitamin D. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Warm, hearty meals with lots of garlic, onions, and bone broth. Probiotics. Essential Oils- I rub a blend of anti-viral EOs on my son's feet every day and then put his socks on over top. Helps protect him when he's out in the germy world. winky.gif Burning anti-viral, anti-bacterial essential oils in the house and cleaning with them. FRESH AIR!!! <<< Most important thing ever in cold/flu season where we are all stuck in our homes. Opening the windows every once in a while helps.

Breastfeeding, Cloth-Diapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mama to a Sweet Little Boy slingboy.gif

#3 of 4 Old 09-07-2012, 07:24 AM

Thanks for this post!  I've started thinking about this too.  We hardly ever get sick here, but I've already been sick twice since DD went back to school.  And the baby has a little cough.  :(  I'm not messing around this year with the new baby.

MyName, can you tell me more about the salve you put on your LO's feet?  That sounds interesting, I've not heard that suggestion before.  Is that something I could do for the baby? 

I'm going to be more vigilant about putting breastmilk in her nostrils before we go out, and washing her little hands more, maybe making some kind of EO wipes to keep in my purse.  People don't really touch her face, but they do like to touch her hands.  And then of course, her hands go in her mouth.

Does anyone keep a little vial of BM in the fridge?  I'm thinking of doing that.  It's good for so many different things.  Just refresh it ever few days.

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-11-2012, 01:22 PM

http://www.allthingsjill.ca/peaspod/allbetter-balm.htm <<< That's what I use for his feet. I've been doing it since he was only a few months old, probably about 6 months?

Breastfeeding, Cloth-Diapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mama to a Sweet Little Boy slingboy.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page