If you never vomit, even when nauseated.... what is that? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So, I am a very infrequent puker.  IIRC, I have not vomited at all in the last five years, even with stomach flus, pregnancy, and a few times, overconsumption of alcohol.  I remember when I was pregnant with DD, wishing I could just puke, because I knew I would feel better, even tried sticking my finger down my throat... to no effect.  Same thing with some stomach flus.    Other people in my family will puke and recover more quickly.  When I was younger I used to be really afraid of throwing up and would fight it hard.... and then at some point  I guess I just stopped being able to.

I wonder if this is really healthy for me.  I'm pregnant again and dairy seems to be a real problem for me  right now - but instead of puking it up when I eat it, I just have horrible stomach cramps while it works its way out of my system.   Anyhow, I stopped eating dairy two days ago and finally feel almost normal today.  I can't help but think maybe I've short circuited some adaptive behavior.

#2 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Huh, that is odd!  Or maybe it's an opposite adaptation that keeps you from becoming malnurished? 

#3 of 5 Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I will do just about anything to *not* vomit, even though I know it can bring relief.  I just.....no.  I can't remember the last time I did.  I remember being rather drunk one time years ago and wishing I could make myself throw up, but I never was able to.   

I never thought it could be maladaptive, I just figured I was pretty stubborn (and maybe a little stupid winky.gif )

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yeah, I always just figured I was stubborn, too.  It wasn't until earlier this week when I felt sicker than I have in a very long time that I wondered, "Why didn't I just puke this up?  Isn't that what puking is for?"

#5 of 5 Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes there is a fairly common condition in which a person can't vomit because the muscles of the stomach are too relaxed. I think its called gastroparesis. Its more common in people who are overweight and people who have diabetes type II.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page