Mothering Forum banner

If you never vomit, even when nauseated.... what is that?

10K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  BellinghamCrunchie 
#1 ·
So, I am a very infrequent puker. IIRC, I have not vomited at all in the last five years, even with stomach flus, pregnancy, and a few times, overconsumption of alcohol. I remember when I was pregnant with DD, wishing I could just puke, because I knew I would feel better, even tried sticking my finger down my throat... to no effect. Same thing with some stomach flus. Other people in my family will puke and recover more quickly. When I was younger I used to be really afraid of throwing up and would fight it hard.... and then at some point I guess I just stopped being able to.

I wonder if this is really healthy for me. I'm pregnant again and dairy seems to be a real problem for me right now - but instead of puking it up when I eat it, I just have horrible stomach cramps while it works its way out of my system. Anyhow, I stopped eating dairy two days ago and finally feel almost normal today. I can't help but think maybe I've short circuited some adaptive behavior.

#3 ·
I will do just about anything to *not* vomit, even though I know it can bring relief. I just.....no. I can't remember the last time I did. I remember being rather drunk one time years ago and wishing I could make myself throw up, but I never was able to.

I never thought it could be maladaptive, I just figured I was pretty stubborn (and maybe a little stupid
winky.gif
)

#4 ·
Yeah, I always just figured I was stubborn, too. It wasn't until earlier this week when I felt sicker than I have in a very long time that I wondered, "Why didn't I just puke this up? Isn't that what puking is for?"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.