Helping tiny children to grow? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have three children (of five) who, since about nine months of age, have been consistantly off the bottoms of the growth charts for their age. Our nine year old had a "million dollar workup" at Hopkins when she was about 18 months old; their findings were that she's small, but fine.

We had a checkup for our now five year old a month ago. He was 26.4 pounds at that visit. The doctor mentioned that because being very small can be tough for boys, that we might want to talk about growth hormones as he gets older. People usually think that he's two or three years old.

Does anyone have ideas for improving growth rates? Our three "small" children all get plenty to eat. They don't have any allergies that we're aware of, though all three have had cradle cap since infancy that hasn't gone away.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

I would wonder if they have gut issues that is preventing them from absorbing adequate nutrients from their foods. I friend of mine has this issue with one of her boys and she has been working hard to heal his gut for many years, and at 12 years old he is finally showing growth and weight gain. He is never going to be 6' tall though, not he would ever have been because of genetics.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have always been very small. my mother says i was 35" and 25 lbs going into kindergarten. the dr was pushing my parents to have me on growth hormones and to have all kinds of tests done at yale; and after research, they refused both. i was growing but never on the charts. i'm now 5', but basically it comes down to genetics. after my grandfather died, we were going through his stuff and i found out my great-grandfather was only 5'2". just small people. if you have more than one kid that's small, you shouldn't worry about it, there maybe some one back in that family tree contributing to their growth/size.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I would wonder if they have gut issues that is preventing them from absorbing adequate nutrients from their foods. I friend of mine has this issue with one of her boys and she has been working hard to heal his gut for many years, and at 12 years old he is finally showing growth and weight gain. He is never going to be 6' tall though, not he would ever have been because of genetics.

I agree with this.  The cradle cap could be eczema, which is a sign of other potential issues, as eczema is often tied to food sensitivities and autoimmune issues.  

Have you tried any elimination diets?  I have a friend whose son grew rapidly as soon as gluten and dairy were eliminated from his diet.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 PM

I agree with the gut issues.  When one of our boys was a baby he was extremely small.  For about a year he was just so small but I was still nursing and giving plenty of homemade veggie & fruit purees.  I used to avoid all animal products until my kids were 12-18 months.  But I finally gave in and introduced yogurt earlier than I normally would and then he started gaining really well.  I think his gut wasn't absorbing the nutrients and that he needing those probiotics to help.

If you haven't yet I'd look into some of the info about the GAPS diet.  There are also some great youtube videos with the dr. who started the diet and she explains things well.  

I will say this too though.  They keep changing the charts and normally healthy kids keep falling below the 0 percentile.  

Hope you get some answers mama :)

Wife to my wonderful husband, Mommy to Aiden and Charlie, Audrey and baby Kate.
::

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List