8 y.o. DD- unvaccinated, can't go to school until we figure this out- help! Rash on arms, legs, underams only-itchy, red bumps. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll try to be as concise as possible, but a few things first: she's never been vaccinated, no change in skin/hair/laundry products, this came up overnight.  We live in Dallas County, in TX, which has been declared a "disaster" area due to the West Nile Virus.  We don't use deet insect repellent, just herbal stuff, and she did get a few bites the day before yesterday.  However, best as I can tell from internet research, the WNV isn't ever just a rash.

So, here's what we got:

--red itchy bumps on arms, legs, & underarms

--no fever, cough, etc

--mild congestion

--had restless sleep last night (unusual for her)

--complains of the itchiness, but can be distracted from scratching sometimes

Any ideas?  Since she's not vaccinated, the school will send her right back home unless I can provide a convincing explanation.  Also, she's itchy enough that I don't think she'll do very well in class.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 06:42 AM

What jumps out at me : possible poison ivy/oak/sumac, or reaction to chemicals from a yard or insect spraying (neighbor, friend,...). Hope you figure it out!
#3 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

In my experience, school will send a sufficiently itchy child home, vaxxed or not, with tart comments about bugs and bathing.

And it might be something relatively harmless and totally non-contagious, like chiggers or plant allergies.

We had pretty good results from Aveeno baths (the oatmeal ones), and a bedtime dose of benadryl.

#4 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 AM

Was your area recently aerial sprayed for mosquitoes?  

My son gets very itchy when he is around recently cut grass.  I think he is allergic or at least very sensitive to pesticides.  I'm sure if they were falling from the sky, he'd probably get sick too.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for all the input so far--keep it coming! smile.gif

Yes, unfortunately our area was aerial sprayed...2 weeks ago. 

She finally scratched to bleeding in one spot & nothing topical was helping, so I broke down and gave her Benadryl for the itching...it has helped, mainly because it kinda zoned her out I think!  However, now my 3 y.o. ds has a very similar rash; it's not as widespread as hers yet, but it's itchy already.  It came over up the last hour and a half (he's running around in undies only, so I'm sure of that, LOL).

I don't want to be an alarmist...however, it does look a lot like the Rubella rash.  Except, of course, it's nothing like the rash pattern for that, and other than being irritable, neither one really seems "sick".

I'm not really worried about this...just hate seeing them so itchy.  Gonna try oatmeal baths & see how that goes!

#6 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Also, you might try cold wet washcloths. When my dd has a bad corn reaction, I give her benedryl and then run washcloths under cold water, ring them out and put them on her rashes at bedtime. Then cover her up with a blanket because she gets cold. Yes, it's cold, but it's better than being itchy and she gets some sleep. Another idea is soaking in a lukewarm baking soda bath. Hot water makes the itching worse.

Amanda,  SAHM mama to love.gif Rose and rainbow1284.giflove.gif  Sean.   Always in my heart and never forgotten  angel3.gif Violet (18 weeks due to I.C.) candle.gif
#7 of 9 Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Has she seen a doctor about it?  I don't think it has anything to do with vax status, but they probably don't want anyone that looks contagious like that, vaxed or not.

#8 of 9 Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thx so much everyone; we finally figured it out.  Actually, mostly thanks to user "Bokonon"--thank u!  I got dd under a really bright light and figured out that the rash was in a pretty specific pattern on her arms and legs.  My hubby read your posts and remembered that night before last she was in the backyard for quite awhile, and she loves to wrap her arms and legs around our giant trees and shimmy up, or just hang on them. The trees must have some of that nasty stuff they sprayed for mosquitoes on their trunks, and she developed an allergic reaction to it- yuck!

After a thorough scrub with baking soda to make sure we got the junk of her skin, she's nearly 100% better!  Now she's making jokes about how she always thought it was a good thing to be a tree hugger...LOL, my little comedian! :o)

#9 of 9 Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Yay, that's great news!  Like I said, I know my son would react like crazy to something like that!  I'm glad she's almost all better.  Way to go mama!

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page