Lead Levels in Kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in a home built in 1951 and so I had my children's lead levels tested at a recent check-up.  My 17 month old, who I was most concerned about based on age, mouthing, being on the floor lots, etc., had a level of <1.  My 3 year old's level was 1 but my six year old's level was 3.  Now, the pedi's office says no worries if it's under 10.  Recent research I've read says that number has been changed to under 5 and that, generally speaking, no level is acceptable.  Also, most of what I've read says that by the time a child is school-aged, there are fewer concerns and that their larger body size can disperse the lead enough for it to not be a factor. 

I'm concerned about my 6yo's level at a 3.  Seems to me her level would be lower than the other two children based on her larger size.  Not sure if this is an issue to worry about or not, but I've read lots on the subject and find that number to be a little too high for my comfort, considering the standard deviation can be +/-2.  My house is generally clean, although not completely dust-free by any means.  It has been re-painted numerous times and painted before we moved in last year.  I don't know if the windows were re-done (look like they were).  We remove our shoes at the door and don't have old pottery/dishes.  My 6yo doesn't wear make-up or play-jewelry very often and I make all my own lotions, creams, even her shampoo, from products that are cultivated mostly in the U.S. and purchased from a reputable agency (Mt. Rose Herbs).  She is not exposed at school, as we homeschool and although we have plenty of outings, I can't think of one place or activity that would cause this higher level than her sibs (they go most places together).  We don't do fast food, eat a healthy diet etc etc etc.

None of my children shows developmental or neurological impairment, but I was just generally surprised at this number being above one.  Do you know anything about these numbers and if I should be concerned?  Have an unrelated pedi visit next month and will ask him then, but looking for insight prior... Thank you-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Hi, Mama 

I wanted to just give your post a friendly bump because this is an issue we're interested in as well. We have a 16 month old that we are about to get tested and the lead testing is something I know very little about. I'm interested to hear more. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List